Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a used 25-20 marlin cl. It is on the way so I have not seen it yet. What kind of riflings do thes guns have? Are the micro-groove or ballard type? I know a lot of people talk about shooting cast bullets in them. Do any of you have any recomendations on loads. I will probably buy some bulk Rem. 86 gr jacketed bullets and some kind of cast bullet once I find a good one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 1894CL in 32-20 and it has "ballard" rifling. I'd assume the 25-20 would too. Mine does have a very short throat which makes it difficult to use the Speer and Hornady JSP's. I have to shorten the brass a bit if I am to crimp them or they won't chamber. I get fine groups with my cast bullets and unique.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
msj348, I read an artical today by John Taffin and he said his 25-20 cl had micro groove riflings. Maybe the 32-20 and 25-20 cl's were different. I will have my gun in a week or so I will know for sure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
CH -

In general, Marlin will mark their barrels if they are microgrooved - when I check the local 218, 2520 and 3220's there is no mention of m.g. (just marlin, north haven, classic and caliber) - sounds like Ballard rifling.

hope that helps.... and do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

G

·
From what I have seen, Microgroove barrels are marked as such and Ballard rifled barrels are marked with asterisks, as an example, here's how my 44 is marked
* * MODEL 1894 CAL 44 REM MAG OR 44 SPL. * *

I don't know when this method of barrel marking was started but it's at least 5 years.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I dont believe the 25-20 is a microgroove barrel. As Greg and Steelbanger have mentioned microgroove barrels are always marked. My 25-20 is not marked microgroove. And compared to my 22LC the lands and grooves are larger.

as far as the Rem bulk 86gr bullets, they shoot fine out of mine, although Greg has me out done on the postal match :cry: I have never messed with cast bullets. My buddy and I bought a slug of the Rem Bulk bullets and got them real cheap at the time, no need for me to mess with cast bullets. It is fun rifle to shoot, does a real good number P.dogs also!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Marlin 25/20CL

Crazy Horse,
I just checked my 25/20CL, and it does not have any reference to rifling. I agree with the others; I think it is ballard type. I have some of the Rem bul 86gr bullets as well, and have just started to play around with loads. Unique should do ok. I've go an RCBS mould to cast some lead bullets, but haven't cast any yet to try them. Good luck with your Marlin; its a fun rifle to shoot.

Steelringer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 25-20 should be here the first of the week. I bought a reciever sight and a scope base to try out. I usually just shoot with factory sights but I want to play around at longer range with this one. I bought 2 boxes of(GREENBOX) :lol: Remington factory loads so get me through until I can get my reloading supplys.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Crazy Horse, a group of bullet casters/.25-20 lovers are having a special run of Lee six cavity moulds made in both plain base and gas check configuration. I've posted a time or two on the Reloading forum about this and I'll kick that thread back to the top to make it easy to find.

G

·
Crazy Horse said:
msj348, I read an artical today by John Taffin and he said his 25-20 cl had micro groove riflings. Maybe the 32-20 and 25-20 cl's were different. I will have my gun in a week or so I will know for sure.
I read the same article as you .But mine has ballerd rifling :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts