Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rifle won't "lever" when on its side

Got a "new" Marlin 1894 which was NIB and made 10 years ago--talk about slow moving product :D

It won't lever when on its side and sometimes seems to "hang up" when I lever it vertical.

Thinking the carrier is somehow getting in the way of the bolt block. the BB is very smooth and has been stoned and buffed down so it's free in its slot.

All the guts are supposed to be orginial but seems someone may have gone in and tried some shade-tree gunsmithing.

Wanted to see if anyone else had something like this or has an idea or better yet a solution

thanks
Walt

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts

Check the screws make sure they are all snug but not tight. You can get the a lot of these type of symptoms from screws too tight or misplaced (ie a longer screw put in where a shorter one should go).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, finally found the problem. The bolt block "hook" had been modified, ground shorter; so much for NIB.

After replacing it with a new one (which is an FFL part from Brownells--explain how to write that one up in the FFL log) the rifle is running better than I am.

Now to track down the gun shop where I bought it and discuss what is going on????

W

·
Registered
3 Posts

i have a new one that does the samething.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well, after checking, cleaning, polishing pretty much everything I ordered a new bolt block. Turns out they're an FFL item at Brownells. Decided to get two since I was going to go to the hassle of traveling to the FFL and back.

Turns out the "orginial, NB" bolt block had been modified by someone! They shortened the hook and it wasn't catching its mate on the lever.

New one in and I'm in business. Still have a few rough spots but they will disappear in no time.

Did find if you lightly radius the back of the bolt where it comes in contact with the hammer (in the bottom center of the bolt) that it will do a great job of removing some of the roughness. Just enough to knock the 90* corner.

Now if I can get my SxS to work.....

Walt

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts

Numrich woulda sold you one without the FFL BS.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the "next time," cause there's bound to be one.

W

·
Registered
272 Posts

Yep just ANOTHER reason I buy ONLY old guns..At one time ALL USA gun builders HAND fit the PARTS and so insured proper operation..Since the WW II ended so did the careful fitting of our firearms.. It has really screwed up new products..And so now we are stuck with doing it ourselves or paying someone to true them up..Out of sixty or so guns I have,, only three that are modern,"after 1940"..And so,,I smile A LOT.. Hang in there guys it is bound to get worse..modoc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same problem

I have the same problem, with a new '94 CB in 45. With the gun tilted up, not just vertical, or on it's side, ect, the lever hangs up at least 50% of the time when trying to open it. Also, when closing the lever slowly, it seems to catch on something right before the plunger latch on the lever engages, so I know it's not that. This IS a new rifle. None of the screws are loose. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts

One thing comes to mind if you are of a mind. Here is what happens when you start the cycle, the lever drops slightly giving away pressure from the breech block, it is slightly assisted by the downward thrust (not necessary) of the two piece firing pins flat spring. The hook on the lever engages the mating part on the breech block. If all of them parts are highly polished and working freely it works wonders. Helps to clean and stone the lockup surfaces. But what about the mating surfaces in the action. Get in there with a childs toothbrush, and scrub with solvent. Air blast if you have it. Wipe out clean, coat your block with some very light polishing compound such as Pearl Drops Tooth Polish, work it in and out a couple hundred strokes, then clean, lightly lube and put it back together and check it out. Hope it helps.

Just so you know, I have a 1949 336RC in 30-30 that does the same thing. Straight upright it never misses, on it's side, maybe, over farther, no way. Been meaning to see if I can bump the hook on the lever a little and cure it. My other 336s will lever upside down, sideways ect, my 94s same, my 39 same.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Re: Rifle won't "lever" when on its side

CAUTION.

Be carefull when replacing the bolt block. That's how you adjust the headspace.

It's not just a drop-in fit thus the reason for selling only to gunsmiths and FFL holders. You need to know what you are doing when replacing this part or you could get into trouble.

djh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts