Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents,

I was wondering if people actually load their 357 or 44 cartridges for 1894 rifles using rifle gun powders rather than the powder for pistols.
Are there any advantages/disadvantages? I understand that handgun powders have a much faster burning rate due to the general length of the barrel on a hand gun being much shorter. Since the loads I am interested in are for rifles wouldn't it be better to load using rifle powder?

Just curious.

Thanks so much to all.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Tried some RL7 in .357 mag, mostly because I had it on the shelf. Much unburned powder and velocity was actually slower than typical magnum handgun powders. Accuracy was only OK, but I didn't fiddle with the load at all.

·
Registered
957 Posts
There's a gray area between rifle and pistol powders. A handful of powders are useful in the largest of pistol cases and the smallest of rifle case. In dual use cartridges, generally the best powder for pistol is also the best powder for rifle although there may be times that a very slightly slower powder will have advantages.

You'll still be in the dual use powder group, though. It runs from about 2400 on the fast side to 4198 or Re7 on the slow side. For .357 and .44 Mag, there's not much point in going slower than H110/WW296 in either rifle or pistol. You would go slower in .357 Max or .445.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Like Leftoverdj said, only the fastest rifle powders will give you reasonable performance in pistol rounds.

Do yourself a favor, and pick up some Lil' Gun if you're looking for sheer velocity. It's great in revolvers, but it really shines in rifles chambered in pistol calibers. So far, it's about as good as it gets for velocity in these combinations. I've tried dozens of powders(some faster rifle), and once you break over from Lil' Gun to slightly slower powders, velocity falls off pretty quickly, as well as you'll end up with a barrel full of unburned powder.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all.
I was just curious. Noting more. I am loading all of my hand gun stuff with BlueDot and once I get my 1894SS I will see how it works too.

Thanks.
Cheers,
Mad

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
rshn, I use Alliant 2400 in my 44mag pistols as well as my 1894SS. They all shoot extremely well. The only problem is 2400 is a little dirty. I also use the same load in all my 44mag guns shooting the Hornady 265gr JFP 444 :D :D :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
anybody got a good load for 44mag pistol that would not be a wristbreaker, but will go good in the rifle also. Not into reloading yet but one of first goals will be to develop a load that is good in both. I understand Hodgdons H11O powder is potent stuff for the 44 mag. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dochollidayinn said:
anybody got a good load for 44mag pistol that would not be a wristbreaker, but will go good in the rifle also.
I have not tested it yet, but here is what I learned from reading about reduced loads. My Lee manual calls for something like 16 gr of BlueDot for 240 gr lead. I loaded it with 10 gr's. It will be light on your hand/sholder and will be awesome up to 100 yards. Do your math.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Sorry, Doc, but there is no pat answer to that question. You'll be dealing with plenty of variables, and the only way to find out what EACH of your guns likes is to shoot them with each load and see. If you find a load both guns like, you're way ahead. But it usually takes a LOT of time and load development. I'd start with a powder like Unique or AA-5, there are lots of good mid-range loads for pistols that will do well from a rifle.

I've got one of those 1894SS's, and man, that is by far the slickest rifle I've ever owned. I have owned numerous blued Marlins, NONE of them felt this smooth, even the 336's take a back seat to this gun. I've done a little smoothing with wet/dry paper, and a few strokes here and there with a Dremel, but most of the smoothing came about after the first 2000 rounds thru it. This gun was a joy from the first day I got it, it's only gotten better in the years since!

Papajohn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts