Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Rifle Mag. has an article by Brian Pierce talking about Marlins. He covers the fact that they didn't take the employees with them in the move to NY, and was a bad move. Almost made it seem like they "couldn't" take them. Discussed the poor fit and function of NY made Marlins, the installation of new, expensive CNC machinery and the fact of them not making many of the models. He is waiting for some of the "New CNC made models" to test them and report on them. Sent back NY assembled firearms without testing as the fit and function was too poor. Said he would report on the new ones, good or bad. DP

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Rifle Mag volume #?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Wow, not often that a magazine gives an honest opinion like that these days.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
682 Posts
I tried to find the story on their website with no luck today. I'll try again tomorrow, they might take some time to post it online.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I read it Saturday evening, was the first article I read when I pealed it out of the wrapper and scanned the contents.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
What does he mean the "new CNC models"? I thought the whole point of moving to Ilion was so they could transfer production to the "new CNC" machines. What have these knuckleheads been using to make these rifles?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
What does he mean the "new CNC models"? I thought the whole point of moving to Ilion was so they could transfer production to the "new CNC" machines. What have these knuckleheads been using to make these rifles?
When they moved to Ilion they moved all the old machinery. People that worked in CT admitted some of the machinery was "well used" and had to be pampered. It would do the job, but you had to know the machinery.

From what I understand, Remington decided to replace some of the old machinery with newer CNC models. That's what he means by CNC produced rifles.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yeah but that was 4 years ago! You mean to tell me they still don't have these CNC machines and drawings ready to go?!?!?

And I thought my 2011 Remlin 336C was made by CNC...

·
Registered
244 Posts
I read it and thought to myself that it was written some time ago and just made it to the magazine now. Then I thought about it some more and thought that it just goes to show you that CNC made Marlins proves GIGO works on any form of computer. All the parts are all made within spec, it's just that none of the spec's equal parts that fit with each other. :vollkommenauf:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I've been through several company moves/sales like this personally myself, and not offering any employees relocation packages would indeed have been a huge mistake; especially with what are often referred to or identified as "key employees" in industry. I didn't read the article, but really don't get the reference to "couldn't take them" unless some ill-advised agreement with an existing union there.. maybe because of layoffs going on elsewhere, but still makes little sense to me? You could possibly be talking hundreds of years of "collective experience" depending on how many would have taken offers, and that can be very valuable in business. Believe me, having been deeply involved with this type of thing before, there are tons of considerations that go on behind the scenes in things like this, big costs and risks, but just don't get Remington's thinking here going back. Would love to have been a fly on the wall during due diligence meetings, negotiations, etc. Oh well, beating a dead horse at this point I 'spose...

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Administrator
28,337 Posts
Any company who is stupid enough to locate the lever and wood manufacturing in two separate locations far from each other proves they haven't a clue. And certainly, explains the abysmal fit to metal we've been witnessing. Until they have a light go on in their heads and move the wood manufacturing under the same roof as that of the lever, I highly suspect little improvement in furniture fit.

Disappointed would be a gross understatement.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
I have always suspected that my January 2012 produced Remlin 308MX was made out of left over parts from the CT factory. It fits tightly together, functions great, and shoots like a real Marlin should. I really don't think this was fully produced in NY. I haven't seen any recent Remlins as nice as mine--I really think my guess is correct.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and JACKTW
1 - 20 of 30 Posts