Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is going to be a bit of a long introduction.

I have been shooting my entire life. Everything from 22 to 300 Win Mag. I like big bore stuff. I have only one hunting rifle a Marlin 444 and hunting pistol also a 444. Everything else I have is plinking guns. 22lr and 22mag. or home defense 12ga. and carry LCR 357.

I am looking at moving my family to some property out in the country... like (THE STICKS). My wife (4'9" 100lbs) was raised around guns but is not a shooter. CANNOT shoot the 12ga is not comfortable with any handgun over a 22lr and is sensitive to blast and recoil. However I feel that with us moving she needs a property/home defense gun. The property we are looking at is well known for coyote and as sad as it is to say there is always the risk of twolegers.

All of that being said I have a Henry 22lr that i am getting her comfortable with and was wanting to know if y'all thought the 357 or 44 in a 20 inch would have much of a recoil impulse. Or could recommend a lever gun that would take care of coyote and twolegers without major recoil or blast.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I have a remlin 44 that I downsized for my 4'11" wife. Length of pull is 11" with a 16 1/2" barrel, it doesn't shoot my cast loads that well but I can't tell a difference with jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I agree with the .44 and the purr one minute and roar the next if your a handloader.

Took two deer last Fall, one shot each and dropped where they stood with my little RUGER 77/44 using a 275gr Wide Flat Nose cast at 1750fps. It is a thumper!

Now, if I was interested in less recoil, it is extremely easy to load lighter .44 loads while still maintaining that larger diameter.

By the way, the original poster says he has a .444 and the 275gr cast bullet I mention is cast for my son's .444 Marlin. Sure put the hurt on those two deer, dead in an instant with total penetration.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
I would have said a .357 mag a few months ago for a kid. Sure but I say the 44/40 should never be under estemated, cowboy loads are the bomb.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Ditto on the .357 recoil. Very mild. In all loadings.

.44 mag can get your attention with certain loads and certain rifles Not so bad in the Marlin 1894, but much worse in the Browning 1892 for instance. However, if you want to load .44 special for any of these, including the Rossi 92, it's a *****cat.

Another thing to consider is a 20 g in an autoloader. Also light recoil due to the cycling mechanism. Load with buckshot, slugs, or whatever. She won't need to worry about working a lever. You should be able to get one for about the same price as the Marlin 1894s.

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
103 Posts
I taught several GFs to shoot with my marlin 357 using lite loads and then upping up to a mid 357 load. One GF really enjoyed killing snapping turtles,, in fact she enjoyed it too much and I began to wander about her. She was really nice looking and great to go in public with but she was Bat S _ _ T crazy and you know what they say about crazy in the head women and where else they are crazy.

Shooting my marlin is a matter of going out the back door and doing my fun thing.

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
I too vote for the .357, if you can find one. I have two .44mag rifles and two .357's, the .44's can get your attention with heavy loads but the .357's are much milder. And with .38's they're pure fun!

·
Premium Member
8,488 Posts
the 357 is the pick...but there is another option....22M - a fav of mine for all the things you mentioned - it'll certainly take care of the smaller varmits and - out of a rifle, or even a hand gun. will do nicely on the larger ones if need be = the big plus is - she wil enjoy shooting it and be far more likely to hit the target...teach her to aim small, miss small

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
357 Magnum makes a good replacement for a 22LR with 38 Special ammo. A 110 gr 38 Special JHP picks up enough speed in the carbine to take a yote at close range. No recoil.

If you ever plan on hunting deer with the rifle, the 44 Magnum would be best. Speer and others make a light JHP in 44 Special that works well in the lever rifle. The Speer 200 gr Gold Dot 44 Special load goes 1200 fps from a 20" carbine and has very little recoil.

·
Registered
394 Posts
In my area the 22M ammo is as much money as 38 special. A lever action carbine is anywhere from 100.00 to 250.00 dollars more then 22 mag lever. You have a lot of more options with a 357 mag carbine. I kind of look at the 357 mag rifles from the factory loading ammo like the 30-06 with all of its factory ammo offerings for the versatility it offers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know i will not be liked for posting this here but here it goes.

I have also looked at the Henry Big Boy in 327 federal magnum. Have any of you played with this round. From what I have researched it is close to the same as a 30 carbine. I really think this would be good for my wife but just do not know enough about the round to make a confident decision.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Went down the defense & plinking path a few years back for a close relative. The Marlin 1894c's were plentiful then. Naturally a 357 was purchased. I set it up with peeps and broke it in. It was so much fun, when I was finished & the rifle was in her possession -- I just had to get another for me. Don't know if you handload -- if you do, you can make some mild loads (I recommend always using 357 brass instead of 38 sp). I have trained several people to shoot, after mastering the .22 lr we move up to the mild loads in the 357, then go to full power 357's. They are so much fun, I would even go far enough to say if you do not have a rifle in .357 -- you are missing a very enjoying experience! I have no shortage of rifles, but it is the .357 Marlin that most often goes shooting. I also have a .44 1894, which I also enjoy, however that only sees full power loads. The 44's tend to be a bit choosey about what ammo they like. For defense -- it needs to be something that is easily handled and one can acquire confidence in using. Practice needs to be frequent enough to build confidence. Nothing more confidence building than a 357 lever! I prefer the Marlins due to the ease of loading. The good news is Marlin is making them again! A benefit of the 357 is that the ammo is less $ than the .44. Stick with flat point bullets rather than hollow points, unless you want to destroy something with a vengeance!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.