Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 year old son finally finished his project gun. We picked up an old Revelation 200 (Marlin 336) in 30-30 a few months ago for 150.00. It was made in 1965, it had surface rust and wood was rough but not chipped.
He stripped the wood, smoothed it out, and refinished it. Removed all the rust, reblued all the metal using Oxpho Blue, installed a 3-9x50mm World Class scope and it is done. The picture does not do it justice. It is beautiful. We will sight the scope in at 100 yards this weekend at the range.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Just wonderful! Youth being the way they are, get your son to promise to give you first dibs when he wants to sell it.....then you can give it back to him someday after you're sure he'll keep it. A beautiful job!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Your son should be proud of his work & gun,You should be very proud of your son. Nice rig.

Buckeye

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gentlemen, here also is the Remington Sportsman 58 made in 1957 he restored to his liking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rogmatt, that is exactly what I need to do to one of my 336's. Can you take me through the metal refinishing steps?

How do I remove the rust? Does Oxpho Blue work well? Do you have to heat it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Congrats to your son on a job well done. That gun should always hold a special place with him. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remove light rust with OOOO steel wool. If rust is thick, then go to a OO or O steel wool. Oxpho also removes rust as it blues. It can blue right through oil, but it is best to remove rust and clean with alcohol before blueing. One good pass everyday, let sit overnight, then again the next day for about a week or up to 10 passes for a good dark color, Oxpho is very durable, unlike cheap cold blues. I buy it from Brownels in the 16oz bottle. Smooth the bluing each day with OOOO steel wool before appling the next pass. You will get a feel for it after a while.

G

·
Rogmatt,

I've got an old Rem. sportsman 58 in 12 ga that only holds 3 with one in the barrel. I've redone the wood on mine a little but the picture looks like your son chopped the barrel down a little. Seems like mine is 30" modified. It's got pictures on each side of the reciever of quail hunting and duck hunting. Bought it used so don't know much about it. I liked mine enough to have it re-blued also. BM

Bill

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Nice..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts