Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody!
I have a Model 1898 shotgun, Grade "C", with a 28" barrel and modified choke. It is a 1st variation version without the recoil safety block and push-button action release. I have a 1905 catalog and was wondering if any of you have an earlier catalog to see what my gun sold for in 1898. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
An 1898 grade C Marlin shotgun sold for an even $40 from 1898 through 1902, the price then went to $40.80 Hope this helps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the price. $40.00 must have been a tidy sum for the average guy back then!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I sure would guess it was! Probably twice what the average guy made in a month! But then the average guy would nevr have owned a grade C Marlin shotgun. He could have purchased a grade A for $24, and he would have passed on that too. Most likely, if the average guy needed a shotgun, he would have bought a good single or SxS for about $10-$12 and saved his money for ammo.
A good Marlin rifle was about $14, and a pistol was the same or less. Unless he needed a shtgun to put food on the table, or he was wealthy, he'd go without a pump, which was a new invention. As the pump action shotgun became more common, the prices actually dropped. By 1911 you could buy a similar model 26 Marlin grade A pump for under $20! And $20 was easier to come by 13 years later too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts