Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I recently picked up an old (1907-1920) Marlin 20-A pump 22 rifle at a local gun show. The seller assured me it was in working order. However, upon getting it home and dismantling it for a thorough cleaning I discovered that it was missing the magazine spring and follower (tube magazine). I was able to locate a replacement spring and follower through egunparts.com. When attempting to reassemble the magazine I ran into some problems. It seems that the replacement spring may be too long – but I’m not sure. The total length of the magazine tube is 22 inches with 16 and a half inches allowed for ammo and 5 and a half inches for the compressed spring and follower. The spring I received measures 40 inches and the follower 1 and a half inches. When assembled, and moved into loading position, the spring tends to bind up with itself and requires removal and untangling. Is this spring way too long as I’m guessing, or is there another problem? If too long, what should the length be?

I was also wondering what it might cost to have an insert installed in the barrel as it looks pretty rough.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are most welcome. I’d really like to get this old gal shooting again.

Thanks.

Creedmoor

·
Registered
496 Posts
Can't help on the length of the follower. One method would be trim a little at a time until it works.

I have had some 22's relined and the cost was $175. My most recent was my Ballard #3. I was initially disappointed in the accuracy. However the more I have shot it the better the accuracy has become. It has become a real tack driver after about 200 rounds. Thought I would mention this if you get yours relined and it is not that accurate at first. Just keep shooting it. Parley

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Howdy Creedmore, and welcome to the board. I have a 20-S- yours was the next gun in production. Can't help much on the mag tube as mine is only a half length magazine.

I had mine relined for about $ 150.00- the bore on it was bad from BP corrosion. I can take my tube apart and give you some measurements if you think you could use the info. Stay tuned here- someone may add to this with info for the full length tube mag....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Parley Baer said:
Can't help on the length of the follower. One method would be trim a little at a time until it works.

I have had some 22's relined and the cost was $175. My most recent was my Ballard #3. I was initially disappointed in the accuracy. However the more I have shot it the better the accuracy has become. It has become a real tack driver after about 200 rounds. Thought I would mention this if you get yours relined and it is not that accurate at first. Just keep shooting it. Parley
Parley-

I think the reason for this is the liner (mine is a redman) is actually a pretty thin tube that needs to upset/seat against the bored out walls of the original bbl. It may take a while for the epoxy to set and harden in the interior areas as well- I think that the epoxy is pretty springy for a few months or more in the middle areas of the bbl. It turns out that the epoxy method of bonding liners is pretty well common practice. Here I was expecting mine to be soft soldered in. I too had so-so accuracy with the first few boxes I shot after the reline, except for the cb shorts- they were reasonably accurate from the get-go, and are still improving...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mag and spring measurments

Doc,
Yes , if you would be so kind, the mag and spring lengths from your 20S would be helpful. They would give me a ratio to work with as a starting point. You say that the "A" came after the "S" model? I always thought that they would have started with the begining of the alphabet. This particular 20A is in pretty rough cosmetic shape, but I bought it as a project to practice on anyway. Other than the magazine missing the spring, follower and retaining pin it is in mechanically good shape. I had to cobble together a new retaining pin from a very small screw, washer and nut and make a new hole in the outer tube as the original was torn . I filed the screw head until the sides were flat and the same width as the slot the follower rides in. It works, and after alittle polishing and blueing, it'll look almost like it was meant to be that way.

Thanks for the help. After this project, I'll turn my attention back to my 336CB in 38-55 which seems to have a too tight chamber for the cast bullets the barrel was meant for. But that's another story.

Creedmoor

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The letter designations and their applications can be a bit confusing.
According to Brophy's Marlin Book, there was this order:

No. 20 ( Long bolt lock and firing pin spring in a notch on firing pin )

No. 20-S ( shortened bolt lock with firing pin spring on the firing pin )

No 20-A ( shortened bolt lock with changes to firing pin and no spring )

It is my understanding that these guns were not roll stamped with letter designations. Disassembly of the gun is required to see which variant the gun is.

I'll get at that magazine tube tonight, Creedmoor.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Creedmoor-

Here are my measurements. Remeber that my magazine is a half length latch type that only holds ten long rifles.

Follower Base- 0.303" dia.

Follower Tip- 0.290" dia.

Follower Length is 1 1/8"

Spring- 0.2955" dia.

Spring length is 15" even

Inner mag tube inside length ( where the spring runs ) is 12" exactly.

The coiled wire of the spring is very thin. The spring compresses into a little over 2" with a full magazine.

Hope this info is of some use...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doc,

Thanks for the measurments - very helpful..They told me my spring was way, way too long. I shortened it up and have had a little less trouble. Other factors are now rearing their ugly heads. My spring only has a diameter of .2445 compared to the .2990 of yours, and thus flops around a bit more than it should leading to the random snarl up. I guess egunparts.com just sent a generic spring under the guise of being an exact rplacement. I also need to come up with a way to make a follower retainer pin and hold it in place. The original is gone and the hole it came out of is torn clear through the end of the outer tube. I drilled an exact same size hole about 3/16" ahead of it and put in a #1.7 screw that I filed the head to fit the groove on the inner tube. Works allright but the protruding end of the screw and nut on the outside of the tube interfere with the slide. It has to be an almost perfectly flush fit on the outside for the slide to move over it. Still working on other ideas for that. Any suggestions. The inside tube is also a little "torqued" and has some incipient cracking at the "ears" of the cutout for inserting cartridges. Is this fixable, or is this thing a basket case I shouldn't throw any more money at?

One other note, the tang on my rifle is roll marked "Marlin No 20-A" There are also some numbers stamped on the inside edge of the tang which match numbers stamped on the inside of the buttplate "14063" or "14C63"-hard to tell if it's a C or a 0. They don't look like serial numbers but could possibly be "family" numbers. Again, thanks for going to all that trouble in taking your rifle apart and measuring it for me.

Creedmoor

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Google for Wisner's gun parts.... they MIGHT be able to help you with a proper spring and follower.

The "retaining pin" on my follower is a simple staking from the inside out that comes a bit less than flush with the surface of the inner mag tube. Sounds like your rifle may have had some minor corrosion in the weakened areas of the magazine.

I have an 1890 with cracks like that around the loading cut out on the tube. It doesn't look that great, but I can put up with it as long as the tube doesn't deteriorate any further.

The number on your tang ( Under the wood line ) is a s/n. I doubt if there would be a letter as part of the s/n- that apparent "C" is likely a weakly struck zero. The same # should be impressed in the wood somewhere in the inletting for the tang.

Thanks for the info on the tang designation- I'll get another look at brophy tonight. The chapter is very short compared to the other Marlin guns, and there are no s/n records available for No. 20 production...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 9 of 9 Posts