Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I received 500 CCI subsonics that I special ordered from a large chain sporting goods store here in Lincoln. This was after using them for a year and a half on small game, mostly tree squirrels, and in a variety of match, Bentz, and standard chambered long rifle guns. In short, I am impressed with them, and they are now a standard for me. When heading afield, they are the round most likely to be chambered in the long rifle guns I am using.

Effect on game is excellent. I use the fox squirrel as a benchmark for judging ammunition effectiveness, and the CCI ammo has proven to be markedly more effective than the Remington subsonic. Having used the Remington product for two years almost exclusively on small game, I think I am in a pretty good position to judge the relative effectiveness of the two. The CCI has worked so well that I place it just a hair behind the standard CCI high velocity hollowpoint in effectiveness, even though the HV CCI is over 200 fps faster than the subsonic. The subsonic round uses a 40 grain bullet with a large hollowpoint. The CCI has steadily averaged around 1080 fps, which happens to be the same speed as most long rifle match ammo. The Remington product went around the same speed in early lots I tried, but later lots were slower for some reason, going about 1000 fps. The Remington had some lots with indifferent accuracy, and two bricks I shot from different lots were plagued with misfires.

Even though the Remington subsonic nicely expanded its bullets in wet phone books at 50 yards, I got the impression that the bullet didn't expand very much on most body shots I took at tree squirrels. The CCI round will expand its bullets in wet phone books at 100 yards and its effect on game is something I attribute to more bullet expansion. The CCI has a much larger hollowpoint cavity than the Remington version. The CCI bullet is unusual in that it carries a long bearing surface well forward, which means that the bullet has only a short jump, or none at all, to the rifling on even standard chambered guns. This seems to improve accuracy, and it outdoes the Remington subsonic in every gun I've tried it in.

I bought the 880SQ as soon as I heard Marlin was offering it for sale, and my gun is serial number 0448XXXX. It has the true match chamber that Marlin later abandoned for the semimatch type. It is drilled for a front sight and the rear dovetail block is visible on top of the barrel. It engraves most bullets upon closure of the bolt. It absolutely loves the CCI product. The only drawback is the extra effort it takes to close the bolt from seating the bullet well into the rifling. I make sure the bolt lug is well greased and give the bolt a good shove forward before turning the handle down. This slows the reloading time slightly but it hasn't been a problem as most things I've shot at have been dead with no need for a fast second shot. My bentz chambered 10/22 barrel absolutely dotes on the CCI as well, but then so does my old Glenfield autoloader and my dad's WWII era Savage/Springfield automatic. My Glenfield bolt action likes them as well. The CCI cartridge is not as snug in standard chambered guns as in the match chambers, but it does seem to take up some of the "slop" in standard chambers and allows those guns to shoot very well.

My motives for posting this are purely selfish. I had to special order another lot of CCI subsonic after depleting my early supply, and I fear that because of my need to do so that the rounds aren't as popular as they should be. If I can get some of you guys to give it a try and help to keep demand up, hopefully CCI will continue to produce it for a long time. If it's not on the shelf, ask for a special order. It's worth it. And of course, it is very quiet, which helps with followup shots on game if the first goes astray. Tree squirrels often don't take much notice of it, which has allowed me to shoot five from one spot without moving on a few hunts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I haven't been able to find CCI Subsonics but My sq shoots the eley and aquila subsonics in tight little groups and both have proven themselves on fox squirrels out at dad's place. What is the item # of the cci's I will give them a try.

G

·
I use nothing but subs in my 77/22, so far the best i have found are Eleys, get yourself a silencer fitted and you will be amazed how much more sport you get.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bowdog:

Not sure if I read anything on the box that looks like an item number. You'll probably have to go to the CCI website to find it.

Taff:

I am sure the Eleys are great stuff. Haven't shot any Eley ammo that was bad, or even average, ever. How deep is the hollowpoint on the Eley ammo? One of the reasons I'm proselytizing about the CCI is the fact that they recognized the lower velocity ammunition needs a larger hollowpoint to open up on game. They did their homework on this one. Of course, silencers are only legal here with registration and a hefty tax, which I'm unwilling to pay. I have no doubt the suppressed long rifle is deadly; it's just not practical here, so I'll make do with what I've got.

The only drawback to the Eley ammo is the greasy lubricant, which is a pretty mild gripe. That's probably why it's so accurate, but the CCI has a harder, fairly thick wax coating that makes it pretty clean to handle and doesn't pick up grit. I don't go around carrying my ammo in my pockets, just in the magazine of the gun, so the greasy ammo complaint probably doesn't hold much water. Forgive me for waxing philosophic, but the CCI is a domestic brand, and you know how some people like promoting their country's product. I'm no different. And it is good ammo, at least in my experience.

What are you paying for the Eley subsonic hollowpoint?

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too bad. The CCI is running $5.00 per hundred, and the place I go to isn't exactly known for its discount prices, so other places might give you a better price. If I can induce them to order the Eley, I'll try it. Either that or order from Midway.

·
Registered
137 Posts
35remington:

Thanks for that information. I was wondering if you found that these rounds caused excessive tissue damage in body shots? By chance did you use them on any other type of game animal? If so, what was the results?

Thanks again for sharing this information. GOOD SHOOTING! :) Range Finder

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
CCI Subsonics

I've done a bit of shooting with them and have found that they are a pretty tight fit in a true match chamber- in my Win 52 repro the bolt closes very hard over them. They perform well in my 10-22 ( no jams yet ) and 39-A, with accuracy better than the CCI mini-mag.

They will fail to penetrate grouse wing "elbow" bones around 75 yds- not enough of a powder charge there for long range shooting. Be wary of your back-stop when shooting- these are riccochet prone....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RF:

Yes, I've used them on rabbits, tree squirrels, digger squirrels under 1 pound, a possum, feral cats and a raccoon. The raccoon was shot on a nighttime "rabbit control" hunt around a few farmsteads and was taken only because a friend had made a less than solid hit with his .22 magnum. It did what the long rifle usually does when it is used on raccoons, which is not stop them right away. We recovered the bullet after it had gone thru the raccoon from the left ribcage to right rear leg. It had opened up nicely, but the raccoon fell out of the tree only after Craig baked it through the chest with a CCI 40 grain hollowpoint.

It is great on nighttime rabbit control, which we undertake to protect the garden. The thump of the bullet almost sounds louder than the report. They flop over right away. No, the meat damage is not excessive, and is less than the HV CCI hollowpoint, but its effect on game is not much less. Actually, though, I've never found the long rifle high velocity hollowpoint to damage much meat either, unless the shoulders are centered on rabbits or squirrels. All I need to do is shoot a tree squirrel with a 30 grain TNT hollowpoint from my .22 magnum to know what meat damage is really all about!

The 'possum waddled on a little further after the first shot through the lungs and expired to a quick second shot. The kitties took the bullet through the ribs and started thrashing about. I tossed in a second shot on a few occasions but they probably weren't needed. Before someone gets on me for nailing cats, I must explain I don't deliberately hunt them. It's just that acreages are getting common near some of my hunting places, and the cityfolk think it's just ducky to have a few cats. Not coincidentally, the quail population is taking quite a hit around here, and believe me, feral housecats are hell on quail. The last cat I nailed was with my .25-20 and it was an old tom with one ear ripped off from fighting. He was hot on the tail of a covey that I flushed on they way to a favorite squirrrel woods. When it comes to choosing between quail and a cat that's a half mile from the nearest house, the cat gets the bullet every time. Cats are wonderful pets, and I have owned and enjoyed a few. But that does not give owners the right to let them breed unchecked and go wherever they want. My thoughts are to keep them as a pet or consider them as wild animals, which they are. Rant over.

Doc, my 880 SQ sounds like it chambers them as hard as your 52 repro, but then it's got a match chamber too. I make sure I push the bolt handle well forward before turning it down, and also make sure the bolt lug is well greased to prevent any wear on the engagement surfaces. I live with it, and use the subsonic for hunting only once I got past my testing regimen in the SQ. In the other guns, like you, I've had no problem. It does seem to be optimized for semi-match and standard chamber guns, though The accuracy makes them worthwhile in the SQ. As for the grouse wing bones, I don't know, as I've never shot a grouse with them, but I have not found them to underpenetrate on game. Except on the 15+ pound critters the bullet passes right through. I use them when hunting on most stuff I use a long rifle for, which is generally on animals less than about 10-12 pounds in weight. Beyond that range I don't think they are capable, but for most small game hunting I've had good luck.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
35 Rem-

I quit shooting them in my 52 repro- I disliked the hard closing of the bolt. In another tight chambered gun- a re-lined Marlin 20- the CCI Subsonics showed signs of pressure- stiff extraction...

The bit on the grouse wing bone is a little un-fair, I'll admit. 75 yards is on the longish side for any .22 rimfire, and that elbow bone is tough to crack even at more moderate ranges.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
230 Posts
Taff - For all the firearms freedoms we have here in the US, silencers (suppressors) are considered the same as machine guns and are highly regulated. You have to go through a background check with the Federal government and pay a $200.00 fee to purchase and possess a suppressor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I always use sub-sonic ammo in my .22. I like the increased accuracy that I get over the high velocity ammo. If I need more power, I use my .22 WMR.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like subsonic HPs too.

My all time favorite is the RWS .22LR Subsonic HP loads.I've used them for over 20years and they are always match accurate,quiet and DEADLY..

Aguila makes some great Subsonic HP loads too.PMC also sells them under the "Moderator" name.. :wink:

If you REALLY want to work over a prairie dog town,take a brick of those Subsonics and a good scoped bolt gun out and drive around them shooting from the cab.Out to 100yds,it knocks 'em right off the mounds with a nice solid "THWOP" and it's so quiet it does not drive them all into their burrows.Pretty effective....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I thought I'd add some of my observations.

I just returned from Scotland where I did quite a bit of rabbit culling with a CZ 452 and subsonics. The rifle had a Parker-Hale supressor and was amazingly accurate with Eley Sub Sonic HP's. I killed a slew of rabbits but the most notable was one in which I shot one through the head at 65 yards. Shortly after I shot it my son came walking up and asked if I'd shot a rabbit. I said I had and asked how he knew. He said that he didn't hear the shot but heard the bullet hit from some 70 yards to the left of my position and about 80 yards from the rabbit I hit. I shot some broadside at 50 and 60 yards that took entrails out the far side. I never lost one of these huge bunnies to a s/s HP round. Anything hit died quickly. I was impressed. ~Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts