Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a digital game camera at Wal-Mart to replace my film game camera. Thought I would share some of the more exciting photos. I set the camera up next to a deer feeder (more like hog feeder) that I recently put in. If you are wondering why there is a steel cable in the photos its because the deer feeder, I mean hog feeder, fell. My father and I fixed it and put it back into service on Sunday.

This is only the second deer I’ve captured on a game camera. Any deer experts happen to know the approximate age and health of the young deer?

Pigs seem to be the dominate animal that roam the property. We have feral hogs, some type of European variety (maybe Russian boar), and hybrids of the two. Look at all those cute piglets.

This pig is packing.

More pigs.

My father and I concluding we didn’t do a very good job of installing the feeder.

Thanks ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Looks like the hogs have run of the place. Where were the pictures taken? I have found that when the hogs get so numerous, the deer shy away. I have yet to see many hogs in Kimble county. Looks like you'll have plenty of pork for the freezer.

Papalote

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Figure that buck was gonna eat like a hog! Great pics thanks for the view.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Papalote said:
Looks like the hogs have run of the place. Where were the pictures taken? I have found that when the hogs get so numerous, the deer shy away. I have yet to see many hogs in Kimble county. Looks like you'll have plenty of pork for the freezer.

Papalote
The hogs defiantly have the run of the place. The pictures were taken on my parent’s property located within a few miles of Medina Lake. It’s hard to tell if the hogs have an effect on the deer population or not. The deer are fairly skittish due to years of hunting pressure in the area. It also doesn’t help that the land its self is choked full of cedars. There could be a deer 25 yards away and most of the time you wouldn’t see it thou the cedar. But with as many hogs as we have it has to have an impact on the deer population.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Excellent pictures! Bar-B-Que on the hoof. I hope you post more of them because not enough pics are posted on this forum.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mrmichael1954 said:
Not bad pics. which game cam is that.
It’s the Moultrie Digital Game Camera 100. I picked it up at Wal-Mart for about a $100. Those photos we’re taking in ‘standard’ resolution it allows for about a 75 photos to be stored on the built in memory. The ‘high’ resolution only allows for you to store 20 or so photos on the built in memory. I purchased a 128MB memory card for $20 and installed it. It can now save over 300 high resolution photos. It should be interesting to see how the high resolution compares to the standard resolution. It can take videos too but I haven’t played with that feature yet.

It also has the nice feature of using a 6V lantern battery. I’m using a rechargeable lead-acid one so I don’t have to buy new batteries for it. The cost of batteries alone will save me a lot of money compared to my old game camera.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts