Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any way to have restoration done without breaking the bank?
I sure would like to have the case colors back and still have a shooter rifle.
Overall the rifle is solid, the wood is ok. Not a beat up Junker.
Just need an original front sight everything else looks correct.
One ding in the barrel that will need filling or fixing.
Any thoughts on this subject??
Fiddlestick :?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Doug Turnbull seems to be the No. 1 choice nowadays. Check out his website.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Fiddlestick -
If all you want is the case hardening done, Turnbull charges 275 if you do the metal prep. I bought an 1893 with the sole intent to restore and shoot - started out just going to have the case done, but then figured it would need new bluing, so figured that in. Then I realized it wouldn't look right with old wood and new metal, so I bought a blank, had the wood duplicated, and would up with everything redone. Considering what it would cost to buy an original Marlin in similar condition would cost more than my house, it really wasn't that bad after all was said and done. Bad thing is, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to do another one now.......If this helps, here's the one I had Turnbull do the metal finishing on...

·
Registered
719 Posts
WOW!

:shock:
would you consider trading that rifle??i have a sister that cooks real good....i'll throw in a couple of cats too! :p

THAT"S a beauty!.....now you have me thinking about my 25-20 1894!!!!! i'm gonna go hold her for a while! :wink:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
What an exquisite piece of walnut!!! Finely done, too! :D Your photographer did a good job of tossing the rifle to make it look like it was floating! :wink: Hope he didn't have to toss it too many times! :p SW

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is one fine looking rifle. ...I think I have inspiration on how to restore my Model 93 Carbine.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
NebrHogger said:
What an exquisite piece of walnut!!! Finely done, too! :D Your photographer did a good job of tossing the rifle to make it look like it was floating! :wink: Hope he didn't have to toss it too many times! :p SW
Thanks - And I happen to know there's plenty more when you're ready....

Nah - Not too many.........Actually, I hung it on string and removed it with Adobe just to make a buddy ask how the heck I did it....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone used this service?

Anyone familiar with Snowy Mountain Restorations
Mr Allen Springer?
I spoke with him today and he is sending pictures for review of his work.
Thanks
Fiddlestick

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Never heard of Snowy Mtn., but we have a local source here, who does excellent work, at reasonable prices. By chance he is an engraver, and will add that also at reasonble pricing. His name is Dale Woody, and he can be found on the internet. He's located in Randall, Washington.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
woody site

Yea
Woodys site says he sends case color work to Al Springer..
Woodys site is where I got the info on Snowy Mtn.
I guess he must be ok
Fiddlestick

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Hmmm.... he must have changed, because he used to do some case work himself, and send the larger work to Turnbull.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Shum8,

I've just got to add my compliments. That rifle is just flat out gorgeous!!!
If you don't mind my asking, how much did all of that cost you? I don't usually ask such questions but I really have no idea of the cost of especially a stock like that.

Notice you are in Roanoke. My grandma moved to Wa. State from a place I believe is just outside of Bedford called Body Camp. That was way back in 1904. I also married a Virginia girl so I have alot of good feeling for the Old Dominion state!

Geoff

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
GEOFF said:
Shum8,

I've just got to add my compliments. That rifle is just flat out gorgeous!!!
If you don't mind my asking, how much did all of that cost you? I don't usually ask such questions but I really have no idea of the cost of especially a stock like that.

Notice you are in Roanoke. My grandma moved to Wa. State from a place I believe is just outside of Bedford called Body Camp. That was way back in 1904. I also married a Virginia girl so I have alot of good feeling for the Old Dominion state!

Geoff
Geoff -
Since I had never heard of Body Camp, I looked it up and darned if they don't have an elementary school named Body Camp Elelmentary.....I'm not but ten minutes from it and never knew it was there. Guess I need to get out of the house nore often.

As to the rifle - After the original purchase, I bouhgt a chunk of black walnut and had the stock duplicated and I finished it, so the only cost there was the wood and duplication, about 180 bucks. I did the metal prep on the metal, and Turnbull charged 675 for all metal refinishing - case hardening, rust bluing, and carbona bluing. He also rebarrelled the action - there was no way I was touching that finish. I figure I have around 1800 or so in it, but that;s a far cry from an original in that condition. She shoots good too - soon as warm weather gets back, I'm gonna shoot it from a rest and see what she'll do with cast bullets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Backing out

Shum8
As good as your gun looks and I sure want one like it. I spoke with a friend and looked at his restoration winchester by turnbull and he has talked me out of doing anything to my 1893. Its just in too good of shape to redo. So now I will start looking for one not quite as nice to restore.
Fiddlestick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts