Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pistol grip works better for my wrist with stout loads, so....... how would y'all compare cost difference between:

1. Buy (another) 22" JM 1895 and pay to shorten barrel, action tune, large lever change

2. Buy a JM guide gun and pay to have it restocked, action tune

Once the choice is made, I may try to work out a trade of my 30-30 Texan to get to the 1895 I want.

Suggestions?

D.

·
Super Moderator
3,063 Posts
Swapping a straight stock to PG is pretty simple and parts are not hard to find. Stock, lever and trigger housing and your done. You might try offering the straight grip parts as trade for the PG. Lots of folks swap from PG to straight as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've searched for a JM pistol gripped Guide gun but no joy so far.

Agreed..... 45-70 Trapdoor loads will take anything walking around in my part of the world, as would one of my 45 Colt Rugers. Of course, I'm not the only guy who shoots heavier stuff just because we want to do so on occasion.

I figure I'd swap the stock with no problem, but if it's going to have action worked over by a pro, I'll let them do the whole job. Will look into Ranger Point, as another shop I have left messages with has not returned my calls so far. Thanks for the input............

D.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've got an 18.5" JM 1895SBL. They are around if you keep an eye out for one. The only problem is that some sellers think they are worth more than a pound of gold.
To answer your question more directly - it's very easy to change the stock (and lever) on a 1895. Stocks are posted for sale all the time at reasonable prices.

Something else I just recently learned about the Marlin lever guns - if you like to shoot heavy loads, the 450 Marlin guns are structurally better suited (stronger) than the 45-70 Marlins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.