Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr. A,
I thought I'd better start a new post re: your comments on your 444. I didn't think it fair to start a new conversation under someone elses 218 Bee thread.
The marlin walnut of the last few years is decidedly prettier than woods of the past for figure and finish. I think it has to do with the way the walnut stock(trees) are managed and grown. As far as I know we have not changed wood suppliers, it is,and har always been American Walnut.
I can also tell you our incoming inspection people are always looking at quality from all of our suppliers.
We have made periodic changes in our manufacturing and finishing techniques. These changes have brought better dimensional control re: fit, and there have been changes in checkering and finishing techniques.

We are looking to the future for ways to give the customer the best lever gun for his money. I had occasion to speak with the vice president of operations after a company meeting today re: short runs of specific calibers. All I can tell you at this time, is that he and Marlin is taking my suggestions under consideration.
Naturally, we would like to increase sales and develope a broader customer following, and some short run specific calibers will help us to achieve that.
If and when a specific caliber "short run" is planned and scheduled, I will try to get the word out the the people on this site, as long as I can do so without breeching any company marketing strategies.
In the meantime, enjoy your new 444 and keep looking for that elusive 218 Bee.

Best regards,

Tomray

NRA LIFE

·
Registered
56 Posts
I must say that some of the new Marlins do sport some pretty decent wood. I picked up a 1897CB 22 Lr that has really nice figureing and the wood is alot darker than I have ever seen on a Marlin rifle. :wink:

Also don't worry about adding another subject to my 218 Bee post.
Any response is usually a positive one. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Tomray,
I hope they listen to you....well maby I hope they dont....I mean...my wife hopes they dont. I think she is catching on that there are more Marlins in the house than there were 3 years ago. I could really be in trouble. I hate to admit that I have been eye ballin the new Winchester in 25-35 but now a Marlin would be much nicer :wink: At any rate, some short runs would be nice. Hows Ed Chabot doing? You should tell him to drop in and tell the gang hi.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As a spankin' brand new Marlin '94 SS user who's never owned a Marlin (or any other kind of a levergun) before, I have to say the stock on my particular '94 is indeed exquisite.

If you're taking requests for "small run" Marlins, let me put my vote in for a '95 SS in 45-70 with a 22" or 24" octagon barrel, with ss ghost ring sights rather than the traditional buckhorns. Now that would be sharp! :D

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Tomray, thanks for starting a new post. I agree that I should have separated it. My statement was to the effect that my new 444 has a darker (extreme figure) stock. Something I have not gotten on other Marlins. It sets the gun off so much that I almost need to set this one back as a collector and not have as a shooter. I compared it to the previously seen Ruger #1's that are noted for their beautiful Walnut stocks. The Marlin clearly beats out the ones I have seen. My wife thinks the Marlins are on an uncontrolled breeding program, and that I need to spay or neuter some of them... :D Unfortunately, I don't have that technique down. A bunch of short runs on Marlin are not what I need. (but what I want). I bought a 356 winchester a few months ago. Beautiful gun, but is definitely not up to my usual Marlin standards. I am sorely tempted by the Winchester run of 25-35's, of which I am guessing I will never see from Marlin. Unfortunately, the Winchester just does not inspire the confidence in accuracy and balance I have come to appreciate with the Marlins.

Some day Big Medicine and I will compare the holes in our head and find out what it takes to plug them up. :wink: For the meantime, though, get me a few short runs!

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr A,
stated:
"I bought a 356 winchester a few months ago. Beautiful gun, but is definitely not up to my usual Marlin standards"

Why not? how old is the rifle? tell me about it.

Big Medicine,
I understand your problems with your wife catching on to the "new Marlins in the house". But honestly, we do all we can to conceal them for you by making them all look pretty much alike!
I guess you'll have to get more creative in explaining their presence in your safe or cabinet........Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, when I hear some news on new releases I'll post it.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wondered what was going on in my gun safe. Now I know; UMB -Uncontrolled Marlin Breeding! Its not a safe, its an incubator.

Somehow most of my new incubator residents are born already a 100 years old. Like the others have noted the wood on new production of late seems better, but a couple of my vintage Deluxe models are just outstanding. On another thread, Shum8 posted a couple of pics of his restored 1893 with extra fine wood and awesome case colors. Sure he restocked it and had the case done by Turnbull. But the excitement generated proves there is a market for a better grade, especially for guys that want the look but won't hassle with a restoration or upgrade project.

For a special run, I can't imagine that a true Deluxe with really, really nice wood, classic Marlin case colored receiver, and maybe even some basic engraving wouldn't sell out pronto. I'm a square bolt guy, so if I can't have a "new" 1893, give me an 1894 in a classic chambering, 25/20 would do.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Tomray, I hate to admit to this,... gasp.,... :roll: but my 356 Win. is not up to Marlin standards cause it is a Winchester. (I have not been able to run across a Marlin that I could afford)---another much needed special run.

I'm sorry! Big Medicine made me do it! :shock:

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
If I would have had the money that Winchester might not have made its way down to Kansas :lol: It was a nice looking rifle though.

G

·
Hey guys, I'm looking to move out my last Winchester, a 94 in 30-30. If I can find a 24" bl. 357 CB, the Winchester is gone! I've seen 24 inchers on the web but I want to actually examine it before I commit.

And I thought I was finished wanting Marlins. Hah!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree on the stocks.
I was drooling over a 336 in .30-30 last weekend at my favorite gunhaunt that some guy was looking over. I mean this stock is something you'd have to pay for in any other rifle, absolutely beautiful.

Darn guy just walked right up to the counter and bought it, never put it back down to give another guy a chance. . .what nerve huh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts