Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been using Lee resizing lube p/n# 90006 and this works well for me.
the only problem i had was it was in a toothpaste type tube. so applying takes some time.

i tried the Hornady One Shot spray, shook it well like the label stated.Sizing was a bit rough... out of the 2 or three i tried i thought my brass was going to get stuck.

anyone have this problem? with this product.

i did find a fix i squeezed out the two 2oz tube of the lee lube into two cups of water into a spray bottle shook it well,
and thing are its looking good. i just stood my brass up in rows did a pump or two from several directions let it dry. the instructions say it doesnt matter wet or dry but it ends up being cleaner this way. than i resize..The lube even washes off with soapy water.

i was disappointed in the a Hornady One Shot spray. is resizing always this rough?

I guess i got spoiled with the Lee lube.

cheers!

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I've used the Lee Lube for years, I just jab a Q-tip into the opening and apply it to the case. The tubes tend to split after a couple of years and ooze goo all over the place if you don't see the split, so I switched to the non-aerosol spray lube that's comprised of lanolin and alcohol. It works just fine. I spray the cases, deprime-resize them, tumble the brass for 20-30 minutes to get the lube off, then reprime and load as normal. A bottle of spray lube lasts a LONG time. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Hornady One Shot is notoriously bad lube. Some report success if you follow the instructions exactly, but just about every stuck case story you read starts with Hornady One Shot.

I make my own spray lube by cutting RCBS Case Lube 2 at 1 part lube to 16 parts 90% isopropyl alcohol. Store it in the relabeled alcohol bottle and salvage a throw away pump spray bottle from the household trash for application.

For ready made, the Dillon stuff is very good (lanolin and alcohol).

For either, I apply as follows:
Dump a couple hundred cases into a plastic shoe box. Give it a shake so about 50% are case mouth up. Pump a couple of sprays over the cases. Give it a good shake and swirl to distribute the lube. Wait a couple minutes for the alcohol to flash off and size way.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
sounds like not enough was sprayed on...I do use "One-Shot"...but it's more like Three-Shot. Shake well, spray (neck down) wait till dry, spray again, (still neck down) wait some more, spray third time (this time neck up). sounds like it takes longer, but in reality its about the same, no more than 3-4 min total (including the wait)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imperial sizing wax. A large can (4 oz ?) should last a lifetime or so.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I like the Hornady spray lube, but find that when they say shake well they really mean it !!!

The Lyman spray lube comes out way too heavy until the can is at least half empty (which is fast) and leaves lube dents!

Hip

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lee's case lube is excellant, it's a soap that dries too hard if used on a pad. Instead, I find it's best applied with my finger tips as I pick up each case for sizing, same as I do with Redding's Imperial and Hornady's Unique.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I was using the Hornady "On Shot", I had the best luck not shaking the can at all and applying a liberal coating from all four sides of the loading block, I've switched over to the REDDING "IMPERIAL SIZING DIE WAX" and will never look back!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this confirms my thoughts on "One shot" as being not an impressive case lube.

when i exhaust my Lee Lube mixed with water in a spray bottle, i may try the wax, my brass count is growing although not impressive at only 140.

im trying to touch the brass a little less by means of spray.

Im still using the Lee hand press and having fun.

for now i will enjoy my discovery of the lube and water and live to shoot another day.

cheers!
-Auerdoan

·
Registered
356 Posts
The only time I stuck a case was when I tried the one shot. I decided that I was tired of wiping the Imperial sizing wax with my fingers and used the spray. I will never use anything but the Imperial from now on. To be fair, it may have been a failure on my part but I hate digging cases out of a die and will stick with what works for me.
FM

·
Banned
99 Posts
preacher said:
I don't know about a lifetime, or maybe I just live fast. My tin is down to about 1/3. At this rate, I think I will be starting on my next one (already purchased) sometime in 2012. I've processed about 8000 rifle rounds with the existing tin so far.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I used the lee lube in the tube once at a friends house. For me I been using the RCBS lube pad for 35+ yards. Put a few drop on the pad and it goes a long way and a RCBS Case Lube-2 oz. bottle can do a few thousands cases or last for years. I have fired, lubed, sized, primed, powder charged and seated the bullet without preparing cases without a problem. I have also used a de-primer die, dip in liquid case cleaner, tumble clean/polish then size using the RCBS pad/lube and primed, charged, seat bullet. I just wipe off the cartridge with a clean rag and put them in a cartridge box. I have reloaded thousands of cartridges in the pass 35+ years and never had a problem. I have had my own reloads stored away for as long as 10+ years shoot as well as the day I loaded that batch. I think I go to the extremes today to load a cartridge suitable for hunting purposes. To me cases preparation is the foundation of your loaded cartridge not how much powder you can stuff in the case.

Clean, size, trim,

T ;) NY

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lee lube is good stuff and easy to wash off with detergent and water. Latley I have been using STP as it is cheap resealable and very effective.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I have used several types of sizing lube and mostly RCBS, but if your using lube from a tube and having trouble getting it out then put the tube in some hot water for a while before trying to squeeze it out. Should not take much pressure. ;)

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I've used the RCBS spray on with good success on the super thin 44-40 brass.

Just out of curiousity, how do you apply that Imperial sizing wax?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Rub the tips of your fingers across the surface of the wax, pick up a case and roll it in your fingers on the way to the press. Refresh the finger tips every half a dozen cases or so.

·
Registered
238 Posts
janott said:
I have used several types of sizing lube and mostly RCBS, but if your using lube from a tube and having trouble getting it out then put the tube in some hot water for a while before trying to squeeze it out. Should not take much pressure. ;)
Excellent idea. Did not think of that. I,ll try it

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
For general resizing, I've had good results with both the One Shot and Dillon case lube (alcohol and lanolin). Major resizing efforts use Imperial or Bullshop case lube. I've tried danged near everything out there, and those are what I'm sticking with.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I had bad problems with the Hornady lube - used it when I started reloading and (due, in large part, to ignorance on my part) got a stuck case on my 300 Weatherby - couldn't get it out so I had to send it back to RCBS for help. I use Lyman's now and have no issues.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts