Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had trouble using lee resizing and decapping die. It worked well before on my first batch but after popping off

a few rounds with my 45-70. While starting a new batch of spent shells , my lee resizing and decapping die wouldn't allow

a spent cartridge more than halfway into the die. Has anyone experienced anything like this before.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Don't know your experience level so don't take this the wrong way if you are already aware. Most if not all rifle caliber resizing dies require you to use some sort of case lube on the brass. My first thought is there is no lube or not enough lube on the brass. If you are interested, I like Hornady One Shot spray lube.

If the brass is lubed then there may be an obstruction in the die. Confirm your press doesn't have a hitch in it somewhere that might be causing it to stop before the brass is all the way in the die.

Good luck.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My two cents: If you removed the die from the press and then re-installed it, make sure the die is seated so it touches the ram just before the top of the stoke....

Also agree with BFPGW's post.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
And of course check the inside of the cases. My last reloading session discovered a .38 special case inside the 45-70. That one wouldn't go all the way into the sizing die either.

And from time to time, polishing medium will get stuch inside the cases, preventing full entry into the sizing die.

But your problem sounds like it may be a case lube issue...

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
My 45-70 dies are enroute, but the Lee 32-20 die instructions recommend cleaning the die occasionaly because the lube gets gummed up and hard inside the die. It also recommends using the same brand of lube, and not mixing them. I'm to new at this reloading thing to offer much other than that.

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
FWIW, I experienced the same issue, it was lube related (to little), one sure indicator is if the brass sticks and is hard to get back out, then popping free. We all prefer our own lube, I like Sharp Shooter R Royal.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
If you've identified that the problem is too little lube, be careful that you don't make the opposite mistake and use too much. More is not better. Too much lube will put hydraulic wrinkles into the cases from the effects of the incompressible lube inside the die.

How much lube is enough? Just enough to make the case feel a bit greasy. I use Imperial Sizing Wax. Comes in a 2 oz tin. Had mine for about probably fifteen years. After about 5000 resizings, I've used maybe 10% of the tin. One swipe of my finger across the wax will usually lube 2 or 3 cases.

Oh, and if you are meeting resistance with resizing, don't force the case into the die. If it gets stuck, the rim can get pulled off the case and that will end your reloading for that day, unless you have a stuck case extractor.

·
Registered
910 Posts
could be an oversized chamber or high pressure load

·
Registered
146 Posts
Same experience with 45-70 brass in my Lee sizing die. I've loaded 9mm (easy in a carbide sizer) and 223 (easy with case lube), but I thought something was wrong when those huge 45-70 Government cases hit the halfway point and stopped. Perseverance and more lube did it for me, although a beefier press would surely help. My cheapo Lee Reloader press does fine on small calibers, but seems to lack the leverage and robustness for 45-70.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
I've reloaded thousands of 45-70 on my Lee press using Lee dies without issue. I use the Lee lube although any will work. Yes the bigger the case the more resistance felt, but I think you may just need more lube.

Is your rifle Rem or JM?

Measure a fired case against a resized. Just thinking a very generous bore size?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
The 45-70 is a straight walled case. Most other high power cases are tapered. Being the 45-70 will meet more resistance. A little lube helps with mine. I know they say carbide dies need no lube. But it dosent hurt as you will see. Im fairly new to this reloading myself, but have learned much from these guys on here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good lube, good press with lots of power gooed RCBS dies, and I can resize a 45-70 to 12.7x44R. A little feeling and turning off the rim does the job. Very dirty or oxidized cases need a lot more pressure, so keep your cartridges clean.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
"The 45-70 is a straight walled case. Most other high power cases are tapered."
--Plumbernater

While the .45-70 is often referred to as a straight walled case, it is tapered. A slight taper, but still a taper. From Donnelly and Towsley "Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions", 3 ed. (2004), p.354 -- neck diameter .480", head diameter .505".

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have wished for years that they made a carbide die for the 45-70 but being tapered they don't.
I used the lee lube for years until I got moved into an unheated space. being water based the tubes froze and I would end up with a handful of lube when I picked up the split tube.
what I loved about the lee lube was you could put on as much as you wanted and if you let it dry COMPLETELY you never got dimpled cases.
Tom. if ever you stick a case and strip off the rim call me. I have stuck case removers. believe me you will someday if you haven't .

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
" if ever you stick a case and strip off the rim call me. I have stuck case removers. believe me you will someday if you haven't ."
--DeerStalkerT

BINGO! And do not ask me how I know this! A stuck case remover is relatively inexpensive and well worth its weight in gold when you need it. RCBS, Redding, and probably several others sell and all for the princely sum of a 'bout a double saw buck (US $20.00).

As for case lube, I am very partial to Imperial Sizing Wax. I deprime and size cases , then wash in ceramic media to remove the primer pocket residue and clean in case inside and out. I like clean and polished bright work. Guess my training at MCRD Parris Isl. is still with me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts