Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend had a barn find Marlin 39. The Serial number was S146xx , Octagon barrel, washed out cash hardened receiver and the bolt is blued?? It has the star on the tang. At first I thought the S was for a 1959 39A, but when I pulled the old Marbles tang sight off it said MOD 39. Any idea when this was made? The stock is a mess so, I would like to fined a nice replacement stock and keep the old stock for when and if I need to sell it.

I am taking it to the range to sight it in tomorrow and will use CCI Standard velocity ammo. I was wondering if the color on the bolt might mean that it can shot the HV rounds?

Many thanks, Lots of great info on this forum.

Regards
Rick

·
Super Moderator
15,835 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Marlin model 39 with an "S" prefix was made between 1926 and 1932. Cannot be any more specific than that as Marlin didn't assemble rifles in S/N sequence. The bolts were blued and not case hardened. No high velocity ammo unless the S/N begins with "HS" (after 1932). Some had a star on the top tang some didn't. The weakest part of these rifles is the magazine assembly. Be gentle with it because if it breaks, it's highly unlikely you be able to repair it. There is a replacement buttstock (not original) on ebay right now if you are interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts