Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to Marlins but new to the site. This place is great! I recently found an old 1965(AA) model 336RC 30-30 for $200. Even with a busted up stock I couldn't pass it up. Someone totally abused this thing and now it's my project. Already knocked off the surface rust with 0000 steel wool and did a complete disassembly for a deep clean. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned since 1966. I think I like the look of the old blue wearing off though. Since I have to buy a new stock anyway I'd kind of like to find a straight trigger guard and convert from the pistol grip to a straight stock but the serial # is on the trigger plate on the older models. Any ideas on where to find a straight trigger plate or should I just replace with a new pistol grip stock? Can't make up my mind so I'm open to suggestions. If I stick with the pistol grip would you guys happen to know the best replacement with the least amount of modifications?
Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel
Gun Shotgun Firearm Revolver Trigger
Shotgun Gun barrel
Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger

· Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Nice pick-up. Boyd's for the stock. I prefer pistol grips but that's just me.

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Sounds like a worthy project. I would just restore it to original condition and configuration. Now, I like my Texans, but nothing wrong with a pistol grip either. On some year models I prefer the pistol grip. I would restore to original also because of the serial number issue. But it is your project, so individualize it any way you choose. Thanks for the before pictures and look forward to the after photos as well. Best wishes.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
WOW!

I am a fan and proponent of JB Weld for everything from eyglasses to engine blocks, but even I wouldn't have done that to that poor rifle...

Was the previous owner too lazy to pull the butt stock and put the glue on the inside???

· Registered
2,759 Posts
wsktider, welcome to MO! I for one am glad to see that you rescues that Marlin. It is evident that Bubba, its previous owner did not appreciate that fine Marlin. Boyds gunstock would be my first stop for a new buttstock, if your good with woodworking and inletting check with Macon gunstocks. they have some very nice semi finsihed stocks. Due to the serial number issue I would leave the gun in it's original pistolgrip configuration, might save y9u headache with the BATFE types. Enjoy the Marlin and take care, John.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah... the previous owner looked like he was kinda lazy. There was clumps of dust mixed with old oil in the receiver and on the bolt. There was also so much dust in between the mag tube and barrel you couldn't see through the crack between them in some places. I wish I had taken pictures but I was in such a hurry to tear it down I didn't think about it at the time. Thanks for the input guys! I've done a little research and thought that the Boyds stock looked pretty good. I've done a little bit of refinishing with Tru Oil in the past but I'm an expert on wood work by no means. Should be fun. With the serial number issue I think I better stick with the original configuration and look for another Marlin straight stock to rescue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.