Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got it on GB for a fair price. I was the only bidder. It's a 22 S-L-LR, unknown DOB. I bought this rifle as a restoration project, hoping like heck that it functioned as it should. It's ugly enough to make your eyes water just a wee bit. But that's temporary.

It was pretty dirty when I picked it up at my LGS today, grease & oil on the bolt and working parts. Blueing actually looks good. The stock is missing a lot of it's finish.

It's missing the buttplate, grip cap, white spacers, trigger plate, and front sight hood. So I've already ordered the missing parts, plus the buttplate screws, grip cap screw, trigger plate screws and rear takedown screw. I decided to not order the front sight hood. The bull's-eye is there, and it has no holes drilled for sling swivels.

I disassembled it when I got it home and gave it a good cleaning. The bore looks real good, with sharp rifling. The safety and all moving parts function perfectly. I loaded 18 rounds of subsonic LR (it was conveniently sitting by the back door), took some cans out back and did some shooting. The rifle loads, fires and ejects as it should, with no problems at all. The iron sights were adjusted well enough to hit the cans. This rifle passed the first test with flying colors.

Here are some pics before I cleaned it up. The glare on the blueing looks like bare metal, but it's not bare metal.

More pics to follow...

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

More pics to follow...

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

More pics to follow...

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I haven't found any cracks in the wood. There's that small "gouge" on the right side that I'll deal with (or not) when I get that far.

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You did good I would like to have one of those but have never seen one live and have not found one on GB for a price I am willing to pay.
I paid $325, but I made sure the parts that were missing were available from Numrich before I placed my bid. Like you said, I haven't seen any other model 57's for the right price, so I figured I'd take my chances with this one. Glad I did.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That is the kind of project most of us dream about! Rifle shows up in better than expected condition, functional and the parts are available! Great purchase. I've got one as well and they are nice shooters. The 57's are harder to come by for sure but I like how my 56 shares mags with my H&R Leatherneck 165!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the kind of project most of us dream about! Rifle shows up in better than expected condition, functional and the parts are available! Great purchase. I've got one as well and they are nice shooters. The 57's are harder to come by for sure but I like how my 56 shares mags with my H&R Leatherneck 165!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I had no idea that the 56 mags will work in the H&R Leatherneck 165, that's great! I love my 57M, and I knew I needed to add a 57 to my safe.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Nice pick up, I had a hard time finding a 57 22lr for my Levermatic collection. I finally bought one off GB several months ago and then the next gun show I attended I saw another one for sale. Couldn't believe it, its the only one I have ever seen in the wild, and I go to a lot of gun shows.

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll take my time on this restoration. It's the first 57 I've ever seen in person, and that was when I picked it up at my LGS.

I've bought several guns sight unseen recently because the price was right, and because I'd never seen one in person.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
23,646 Posts
That is a nice 57 Todd---I know you are going to make it even better! Are you going to use an oil finish for the stock? I put a scope on my 57M which uses a completely different mount than what I had dealt with before. I remember having to order it through Midway as no LGS had it locally. The Levermatics are highly underrated--I like 'em better than my Model 39.

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jay! I plan on using Tru-Oil on the stock. I ordered all of the stock and metal refinishing products from Midway last week. The bluing on this 57 looks much better in person than it does in the pictures, so I'll clean it up real good and see how it looks on top of a "new" stock. Then I'll decide if I need to strip the metal and re-blue it. The receiver is showing bare metal (aluminum), but I think it's from the scope mount that it had on it sometime in its life. The scope mount was long gone before I got the rifle. But I do plan to get the correct scope mount for it and put a scope on it.

Until I owned a Levermatic, I'd never seen one in person. I've also never seen a 39, or the 1894 22 Mag in person. After getting my 57M home, familiarizing myself with that rifle, and shooting it, I knew I had to have a 57. My lever action rimfire itch is scratched, and I no longer wish to own a 39 or 1894 22 Mag.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
the action mechanism can be a nightmare. I would not take that apart if everything works, if it aint broke it maybe if you tamper wid it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
My 57M is a lot rougher than the OP's, but they are hard to find, and I only wanted it for a tractor, garden gun. I removed the stock and started cleaning it up, then moved towards the receiver to begin breaking it down for cleaning.

Thankfully I stopped before I got in over my head. Taking a 339 or 39 apart is a piece of cake, this jewel has so many little springs and such I decided to woah up, before it became a parts gun. LOL! I hosed it down with spray cleaners and lubes and wiped it down, and put it back together. I may start on it again this winter as a project, but I wanted to play with it before I tore it up. I haven't seen one for sale locally, ever! Mine came from a forum member maybe 4 or 5 years ago. The wood is pretty good, but the receiver and barrel are missing a lot of "color", no rust to speak of.

They are great little guns, I would like to find a LR version to go with it. But I think I may have put it off too long. Firearms of any sort are skyrocketing in price these days. :oops:

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the action mechanism can be a nightmare. I would not take that apart if everything works, if it aint broke it maybe if you tamper wid it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
That's my main concern, is taking a perfectly functioning old rifle and turning it into a broken non-working club. The internal parts don't appear to in need of re-bluing, so I might not bother with that. The barrel and mag tube have very few spots of surface rust, so I'll see how well they clean up before I make a decision on re-bluing them.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Zowie, That is nice! I shot a friend's Marlin 39 (about 40 years ago) and was amazed at the accuracy of it and using only the original iron sights (20+ years age/ MK 1 OE eyes :). It was sweet and the 57 will be really nice when you finish her up. Keep us in the loop!

JX

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
That's my main concern, is taking a perfectly functioning old rifle and turning it into a broken non-working club. The internal parts don't appear to in need of re-bluing, so I might not bother with that. The barrel and mag tube have very few spots of surface rust, so I'll see how well they clean up before I make a decision on re-bluing them.
yes sir i would clean it and redo the stock and put it back together, and call it good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Registered
24 Posts
Back in the 80's I picked up a 57 that had a cracked receiver. It was cracked at the recoil shoulder all the way around. So the bolt was in a loose lock up but the thing still shot! So I asked around over at Numrich Arms since I had worked there at Auto Ordnance across the street a few years earlier. Reason there are parts for the 57 is because I didn't have the only 57 that breaks in half by shooting hi vels. Marlin took a model 60 receiver and lengthened the bolt port. Only problem was the alloy receivers crystallize and fracture. Unhardened aluminum would just peen back from recoil but in these 57's Marlin must have hardened the receivers thinking that would solve the soft peening issue but then you have the problem of cracking. Back in those days, I had a full service Gun Shop and sold a couple of 57M's and kept one for my self and feel they are the finest 22 mags ever made with their finely crafted steel receivers. So I wanted to fix this broke 57. I took a M60 receiver and milled the bolt port back to the 57M spec and got the gun to work like new. A box of rounds had shown no issues from the M60 receiver and after a while I sold it. So, basicaly, if you really like your 57, I would suggest you hold it to std vels. or you might be selling it to Numrich some day. Sorry, but truth be known.

·
Premium Member
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back in the 80's I picked up a 57 that had a cracked receiver. It was cracked at the recoil shoulder all the way around. So the bolt was in a loose lock up but the thing still shot! So I asked around over at Numrich Arms since I had worked there at Auto Ordnance across the street a few years earlier. Reason there are parts for the 57 is because I didn't have the only 57 that breaks in half by shooting hi vels. Marlin took a model 60 receiver and lengthened the bolt port. Only problem was the alloy receivers crystallize and fracture. Unhardened aluminum would just peen back from recoil but in these 57's Marlin must have hardened the receivers thinking that would solve the soft peening issue but then you have the problem of cracking. Back in those days, I had a full service Gun Shop and sold a couple of 57M's and kept one for my self and feel they are the finest 22 mags ever made with their finely crafted steel receivers. So I wanted to fix this broke 57. I took a M60 receiver and milled the bolt port back to the 57M spec and got the gun to work like new. A box of rounds had shown no issues from the M60 receiver and after a while I sold it. So, basicaly, if you really like your 57, I would suggest you hold it to std vels. or you might be selling it to Numrich some day. Sorry, but truth be known.
Thanks for the heads up!

I mainly shoot 22 shorts and subsonic LR in my 22's. I have a couple of bolt actions that I can shoot the high velocity stuff out of. I've never used anything hotter than high velocity in my guns.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts