Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back where I have more than an iPhone, so posting some results for a 336A 35 REM I rescued two weeks ago from a pawn in Post Falls WA. This is a 1950 waffle-top that was as dirty a gun as I've ever cleaned up. Talked them down to $295 (I paid the tax though) and took it home to clean it up. First pictures are a maiden voyage for me... never broke one completely down before. Sorry, I neglected to get a picture of it assembled. I think the barrel is 24", or close to that. Mag tube is 3/4 and it has a forearm cap rather than a forearm band. Black Marlin butt-plate needs to be replaced yet. I posted for some help here at the time I was working on it and got it from several folks regarding a retap of the hammer screw hole on the left side of the reciever. Once I got it retreaded and the hammer screw replaced and the rest of the gun cleaned and oiled the action was quite smooth and no problems feeding LE rounds out of the box. I replaced all the other buggered screws and then shot it the next day. It took a couple sight adjustments but the last picture is my buddy and I shooting for the 'best' group at 100 yds with open sights. We both jumped the gun on one shot each but got similar groups out of our other three. I'm gonna be in the market for a Williams sight to see if that helps these old tired eyes.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I neglected to say the gun is shooting low... guess you can see that. I got close to the bull but my buddy got the smaller group. This is about as good as I could do with this gun and open sights at a 100 yards. Anxious to see if a retical type sight brings me some improvement.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice work mate, Im sure you'll see an improvement with the receiver sight. Most guys here that make the swap report good results. ;)

Cheers, Scott.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank Scott... going to a gun show Saturday to look for a Williams. I like the Skinner too, for it's looks, not sure about how convenient the adjustments are but their long ramp version sure looks sleek. I have an M1A and it is definitly easier than my Marlin buckhorns but even that poses a challenge these days.

·
Registered
278 Posts
SgtDog0311 said:
Thank Scott... going to a gun show Saturday to look for a Williams. I like the Skinner too, for it's looks, not sure about how convenient the adjustments are but their long ramp version sure looks sleek. I have an M1A and it is definitly easier than my Marlin buckhorns but even that poses a challenge these days.
Mate, those Skinner Express sights do like nice. Let us know how you go with your findings mate. Im considering the same for a '78 336C in 30-30 I just picked up, although Im leaning towards XS sights at the moment. I need the rear and the front base and blade. with the XS ya get the whole package ready to go. Not as classic looking as the Skinner though...

I was gonna scope it, but it just handles so nice as a bare rifle... you know what I mean?

Cheers, Scott.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Obe-wan... I do indeed. I'll keep you posted once I've decided and will post a picture at that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
SgtDog0311 said:
Obe-wan... I do indeed. I'll keep you posted once I've decided and will post a picture at that.
;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts