Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--- Damn , this ' 94 forum is getting good .

Thanks BILL CONRAD --- for your reply to my post under the 1894 Wish List thread ( this Forum ) . --- Lots of good posts / info .

Am sending the ' 94FG .41 back to the Factory -- Won't feed .

When I get it back , Jim Brockman , ( Gunsmith , specializing in Marlin LeverGuns ) will minister to it , by shortening to 16 1/2 " , and tuning feeding for Beartooth's 280 Grainer .

If it doesn't group / stabalize to 100 yds , I'll be consulting your posts for new Barrel / twist info .

You're right , --- these are " PROJECTS " . --- Lots of fun , though .

These little rifles , with heavy-for-caliber hard-cast , and maximum safe pressures , --- are pretty awesome .

Figure the new language under the " 1894 " Forum title is a little conservative . -- It say's for small game , up to deer , and utility use . --- ( Read " PACO " - on Heavy .41 Mag .
--- , a 265 grainer , side to side through Cattle , breaking both shoulders , and exiting ) !

I believe when you're thinking in terms of BearTooth Bullets, Garrett, Buffalo Bore , Cor-Bon ( the new wave ) ; -- .41's , .44 Mag. , .45 LC , --- warm handloads with slow powders , . . . . we're talking Elk level , SportsFans .

Thanks again to Bill and others for good info .

------------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
67 Posts
MMCOUGAR,
--- Damn, this '94 forum is getting good.
Sure like to hear about all those 1894 experiments going on out there :?:
My .44 Mag posts are (just) one example of what's going on "out there".
C'mon guys --- What's everybody doing?
Am sending the '94FG .41 back to the Factory -- Won't feed.
Which ammo didn't feed?
You might ask Brockman about that .41 (heavy) BT280 gr since it may also require a faster twist but, 1:20" seems fast enough.
And, does the BT280 gr have a Gas Check? You may want a Gas Check if velocity is up near 1700 (or, more) fps.
Maybe Marshall wants to comment?
Cutting back to 16-1/2" (from 20") will give you a lot more muzzle blast/flash and, with the "right" load, you stand to lose 50-100 fps.
--- ( Read " PACO " - on Heavy .41 Mag, a 265 grainer, side to side through Cattle, breaking both shoulders, and exiting)!
Example: Buffalo Bore has a "Heavy" .41 Magnum:
265 gr. LWN-GC 1350 fps
1072 ft-lbs
I imagine this is with a 5-1/2" revolver barrel?
This might be 1525 fps and 1368 ft-lbs from your 16-1/2" barrel ;-)
I believe ... .41's, .44 Mag, .45 LC, --- warm handloads with slow powders, ... we're talking Elk level, SportsFans.
Black Bear steaks w/ those new 340 gr Buffalo Bore:
1700 fps / 2180 ft-lbs ... Muzzle (22" barrel)
~1400 fps / 1480 ft-lbs ... 100 yds
NOTE: This load has more Taylor KO @100 yds than the Original (405 gr) 45-70 or, the Original (240 gr) 444 Marlin.

Bill

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
uh..listen man, :shock: ,you didn''''t hear this from me and I'd never be the one to rat you out ,but...watch out shooting them cattle last I heard they hang guy's west for stuff like that :lol: :wink: Shootrj2003

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SHOOTIN ' CATTLE -- answering SHOOTRJ2003

---- Naw , it wasn't me who shot them Doggies .

I was referring to the article by " PACO " ( a famous gun pundit ) --- article was titled " Heavy .41 Mag " --- Look it up on Google under " Paco,heavy .41 Magnum " ---- An excellent article for .41 and 1894FG Fans .

The author was CULLING feral range cattle , so's they wouldn't breed with the pricey registered stock and dilute the gene pool .

The animals being culled were rinning 1300 to 1500 lbs. , and tough . --- He say's a big Bull will go to 2000 lbs . , ( if I remember right ) . --- He's using a 265 Gr . .41 Mag . --- Breaks BOTH shoulders and exits . ---- Awe inspiring .

Wonder what BearTooth's 280 Grainer would have done ?

. . . . . . . . Awesome . . . . . Definitely ELK LEVEL !

NOSE TO THE TRAIL , --------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ANSWER TO BILL CONRAD

---- Bill , --- Regarding detail on my brand new 1894FG - .41 Mag . : I explained the feeding problems in some detail in another post ( this 1894 Forum ) . -- Look for " REPORT ON .41 MAGGIE "

I took it out of an untampered-with box , and cleaned the barrel . --- Broke open boxes of two types of brand new factory ammo . I ran two full magazines of uncycled , virgin ammo . through the action , of each .

The weapon was kept at the shoulder during cycling .

--- I ran them through smoothly at medium speed ( no fancy stuff ) .

the Ammo types were :

1 ) --- Federal , 250 Gr. CastCore -- Hunting type .

2) --- Remington , 170 Gr. SEMI-JKTD HP .

On average about 50 % of each type jammed , always in the nose-up position.

Aafter reading many of the accounts Here and at the Beartooth Site , ---- I sent 'er back to the Factory for one of their reputedly goodly feeding jobs . ----- Will let you know results .

Nose To The Trail , ------------ MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: ANSWER TO BILL CONRAD

MMCOUGAR,
After reading many of the accounts Here and at the Beartooth Site , ---- I sent 'er back to the Factory for one of their reputedly goodly feeding jobs . ----- Will let you know results.
Thanx!
Jams are absolutely unacceptable.
Looking forward to hear your results.
Like to see this one (your problem) get thru the system and be a success.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts