Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have experience replacing the stock on your 1894? I have an 1894 Cowboy Limited, .44 mag with a 24" barrel. This one has the checkered stock. I am currently looking on Brownells and they have two stocks. One is for 1894 and one is for 1894p. They both look the same, but one is about $10 more. Is there a difference? Is Brownells a trusted site to order this stock from? (my gun isn't manufactured anymore and I want to make sure I am getting the right part. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there cf11 -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. Brownells is a great company. Just give them a call and ask what the difference is. With the exception of the 1894P, they only show two different stock numbers. One might be checkered and one might be plain. They'll be happy to tell you which... Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You can't use either one of those forearms. They're meant for round barrels, and yours has an octagonal shape barrel. Those forearms would work, after much relief of wood on the inside of the forearm. I'd just contact Marlin for a replacement forearm. Costs would be similar to the prices of Brownells.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't use either one of those forearms. They're meant for round barrels, and yours has an octagonal shape barrel. Those forearms would work, after much relief of wood on the inside of the forearm. I'd just contact Marlin for a replacement forearm. Costs would be similar to the prices of Brownells.
Im not replacing the forearm, just the butt/stock.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Cardfan
Like Wind mentioned give them a call.
I had an 1894Pand have 2, 1894CB 44mags. I don't believe there's any difference in them that I know of. The CB's come smooth or checkered depending on model/caliber etc. That may be where the number difference is and it might just be showing "Stock" pics (NOT Gun/Wooden stocks) but {"Item #'s /// STOCK ITEM Numbers"}......

Call'em up it don't cost you anything and than you'll know for sure.

Good luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Cardfan
Like Wind mentioned give them a call.
I had an 1894Pand have 2, 1894CB 44mags. I don't believe there's any difference in them that I know of. The CB's come smooth or checkered depending on model/caliber etc. That may be where the number difference is and it might just be showing "Stock" pics (NOT Gun/Wooden stocks) but {"Item #'s /// STOCK ITEM Numbers"}...

Call'em up it don't cost you anything and than you'll know for sure.

Good luck
BloodGroove4570
Yep, what he said.

However, those buttstocks may have the sling swivel stud installed on them, where as your CB model did not come from the factory with sling studs. I don't know if it makes any difference to you or not.

·
Registered
17,104 Posts
cardfan:
Why are you replacing your buttstock? If it's not too beat up,I'd like to buy it for a project rifle I'm building. If you want to sell it to help finance your new one,shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cardfan:
Why are you replacing your buttstock? If it's not too beat up,I'd like to buy it for a project rifle I'm building. If you want to sell it to help finance your new one,shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Rob
Rob, I'd be glad to sell it, but you don't want it - the stock is loose. It has a crack in it and that's why I'm replacing it.

·
Registered
17,104 Posts
Rob, I'd be glad to sell it, but you don't want it - the stock is loose. It has a crack in it and that's why I'm replacing it.
I'd like to take a shot at repairing it. Keep my offer in mind. Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
170 Posts
The 1894P forearm is different. It is shorter by almost 2 inches. The butt stock i am not sure i have the one i took off of my 1894P. The inlet is the same however i am not sure about the length the butt stock. Here is a picture of my 1894P butt stock measuring the total length without the butt pad and swivel stud as i am refinishing it. It will be for sale soon as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have an 1894 CB Limited that came with a crescent butt stock and a checkered fore stock. I wanted a smooth fore stock so I sent a picture of the butt stock to George at Treebone carving. He sent me a 90% finished fore stock that perfectly matched the butt stock when finished.

1894 CB forestock 1.JPG 1894 Buttstock 1.JPG IMG_9130.JPG

He can be contacted here: Marlin Levergun Stocks - Treebone Carving

1 - 11 of 11 Posts