Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Question, I've got an 1894 CCL in 32-20 with an octagon barrel and would like to upgrade the wood if I find a stock with a bit of figure in it. I know the but stock from pretty much any straight grip 1894 will fit fine but what about the fore end from a round barrel gun going onto an octagonal barreled rifle? I've got no problem with removing wood myself if needed but don't want to run into an issue of a sloppy fit and a need to try to splice wood in somewhere to tighten things up. I'm pretty sure my octagon barrel is probably thicker than most round barreled 30 30's so I figure a fore end from a 30-30 should fit the barrel okay with some beveling of the mating surfaces to match the octagon shape. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the lip of wood on each end is all that holds the fore end in place.

Also, what about the magazine tube diameter? I'd expect the tube from my 32-20 is skinnier than the tube of a 30-30. I know it's smaller than the tube on my 35 Remington but don't have a 30-30 to compare it to. Reason I ask about comparisons to the 30-30 is I figure that is the most likely caliber rifle I will get a donor stock from. Anyway, is it okay to have the mag tube basically free floated from the fore end wood? i.e. if the fore end was made for a rifle with a larger caliber mag tube? I've never had the fore end stock off of a Marlin but it looks like the steel end cap being fitted to the tube would hold things in place properly but I don't know if the end cap from a 32-20 would fit the lip of wood on a fore end from a 30-30.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Dave, I have swapped fore ends from 1895 cowboys to 336 and 1894 cowboys. I would bet the 32-20 is no different. Only the 1895 is unique as it has a relief cut in the left side for the buldge in the mag tube. So, I would bet any CB fore end will fit.

The mag tube channel is the same also. My 357 CB just has more room around the mag tube. The fore end cap appears to be the same as my 336 CBs.

Papalote

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know!

So, I would bet any CB fore end will fit.
What do you think about putting a standard round barrel fore end on an octagon barreled rifle?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Some of the guys who have converted regular 1894s to octagon barrels have reported having to rework or replace the forearm.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Round barreled forearm to octagonal barrel probably isn't going to work without a lot of grief. You'd probably end up using bedding compound and/or reinletting the thing. Ran into this when changing my 39 over to half-octagonal. Gun Parts/Numrich just happened to have some nice wood on closeout to fit, so I lucked out.

From what I've seen, all the forearm caps seem to be the same overall size. If you get one with a giant gap, you might try one from a 39 and file to fit. You'd need to do that anyway, the caps aren't a drop-on proposition, They've always needed some filing to fit the barrel, then some inletting work on the wood to fit the forearm. Lots of fiddling around to get the tenon screws to line up, too. Round-barrel caps CAN be filed out to octagonal so they look decent. Good thing, too, the octagonal ones are pretty scarce.

Stna S.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done two Round Barrel to Octagonal Barrel converstions.......an 1895 and a 336. The round barrel forend fit the octagon barrel with ZERO work. Fit perfectly. But on the 336 I decided to not use the barrel band and go with an 1895 forend that came off a rifle with a round barrel.

You can read about the conversions here:

www.rvbprecision.com

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
rvb pre said:
I've done two Round Barrel to Octagonal Barrel converstions.......an 1895 and a 336. The round barrel forend fit the octagon barrel with ZERO work. Fit perfectly. But on the 336 I decided to not use the barrel band and go with an 1895 forend that came off a rifle with a round barrel.

You can read about the conversions here:

www.rvbprecision.com
Pvb I spent a long time on your sight. It proved to be very interesting. Nice job on the 336. I wished I had your talent.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Dave Bulla said:
Hi guys,

Question, I've got an 1894 CCL in 32-20 with an octagon barrel and would like to upgrade the wood if I find a stock with a bit of figure in it. I know the but stock from pretty much any straight grip 1894 will fit fine but what about the fore end from a round barrel gun going onto an octagonal barreled rifle? I've got no problem with removing wood myself if needed but don't want to run into an issue of a sloppy fit and a need to try to splice wood in somewhere to tighten things up. I'm pretty sure my octagon barrel is probably thicker than most round barreled 30 30's so I figure a fore end from a 30-30 should fit the barrel okay with some beveling of the mating surfaces to match the octagon shape. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the lip of wood on each end is all that holds the fore end in place.Also, what about the magazine tube diameter? I'd expect the tube from my 32-20 is skinnier than the tube of a 30-30. I know it's smaller than the tube on my 35 Remington but don't have a 30-30 to compare it to. Reason I ask
about comparisons to the 30-30 is I figure that is the most likely caliber rifle I will get a donor stock from.
Anyway, is it okay to have the mag tube basically free floated from the fore end wood? i.e. if the fore
end was made for a rifle with a larger caliber mag tube? I've never had the fore end stock off of a Marlin
but it looks like the steel end cap being fitted to the tube would hold things in place properly but I don't
know if the end cap from a 32-20 would fit the lip of wood on a fore end from a 30-30.
A round barrel is fatter thanh an oct barrel on a marlin. It's just a round barrel with flats ground into it. So using a round barrel for end under an oct barrel will leave gaps at the top. Also the 32 tube is smaller, modern ones are probably the same as a 357 tube. A 30/30 for end would work functionally but the hole in the for end tip will be big. The tube isn't retained there though, it's held either by the front band or a stud dovetailed into the barrel. A 32/20 for end tip can be fitted to a 30/30 for end though. Check the length too, I think some or all the cowboy models used short for ends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts