Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put some bail money down on one today. Looks a bit worn/beat up but nothing too horribly bad. Bore looks ok. Fore-end is loose and missing a chunk or two out of it though. I don't recall the buttstock condition. Anyways, do the Mounties and the 39a's share the same stock sets, or is there a few differences?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Put some bail money down on one today. Looks a bit worn/beat up but nothing too horribly bad. Bore looks ok. Fore-end is loose and missing a chunk or two out of it though. I don't recall the buttstock condition. Anyways, do the Mounties and the 39a's share the same stock sets, or is there a few differences?
Straight vs. pistol grip, carbine barrel loop vs. rifle cap, don't think so. Replacement wood isn't going to match up with the metal, original stock was sanded flush to the metal at the factory, best to fix what you have and carefully refinish. One reason I collect oddball walnut chunks from gun shows is to carve slivers off to match and replace missing wood on stocks. Done skillfully before refinishing, it's hard to see the repaired areas.

Stan S.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If the chips or chunks aren't that huge, another option is walnut paste. Using aforementioned walnut scraps, sand down the wood saving all the dust.
Mix the dust with 24 hour two part clear epoxy. You want it very stiff with much more walnut than epoxy packing in the chip and higher than surrounding wood. After cure time, sand down flush letting it look more like a dark knot blemish. Looks pretty decent after top coat finish is applied to the entire stock.

Reactions: toad67
1 - 4 of 4 Posts