Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pick up a skinner peep sight for my gun, and while I'm at it I'd like to replace the front sight on my pre-safety marlin 1894 .357. I bought it used many years ago, and I have no idea what, if anything was done to it before I got it. The front sight is dovetailed in, not a screwed on ramp.

Unfortunately, the front dovetail appears to be some sort of non-standard size. The rear is a standard 3/8", but the front seems to be more of a 13/32 (?).

I measured as best I could without removing the sight, and it appears to be .364" at the top, .404" at the bottom, and .07" deep. Any great ideas as to what might fit in that slot?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Don't remove it yet.

Wait and see what it looks like looking through the Skinner peep.

That is a good style sight for shooting, pretty sure Marlin put bead sights on them and that's a replacement front.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Swany's right, thats not a factory sight. Should be a standard 3/8" dovetail, every Marlin I'v ever encountered was he same in that regards, I'v never measured one though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
With anything that is not factory you can't be sure till you measure it. Someone could have modified it. Made that mistake on assuming a front sight tenon on a Colt 1911 was standard till I received a tritium replacement and found a prior owner had enlarged the tenon and silver soldered a custom blade in. Had to weld it in and cut a new tenon slot.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thaks guys, that's basically what I've decided to do. order a sight, take a look through it, and if worst comes to worst, silver solder or jbweld (gasps!) something standard in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts