Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking about rebarreling an XS7 to the 358 Win. Has anyone done this, and, if so, what length did you choose? My initial thought was to go short, ~20", but I do like the balance of the rifle now and am wondering if a longer barrel might be better to retain that balance. I'm more interested in retaining the feel than crawling through the brambles. I will keep the synthetic stock, so realistically, would the balance change drastically with a short barrel?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I doubt you'd notice 2" less. I like short barreled guns and own 3 with barrels under 20". I've never wished for a longer barrel on those guns, but you could do something else.

Get the 20" barrel, but go with a slightly heavier profile. That way you get the short handling carbine for the woods, but still have some weight out front. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm with bandit; you won't notice the 2" affecting the balance. These barrels are thin and 2" can't weigh much and shift the center of balance that would be noticeable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You will need a heavier profile anyway since a .358” bore will be run in it.

Since the larger bores drop pressure faster by virtue of increased bore volume. The shorter barrel is not as large a handicap to performance as with a smaller bore diameter.

Longer barrels get the muzzle blast farther out in front of your ears though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts