Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned many "boom sticks" in my time. Untill now, I have never had much complaints about a trigger on any of my firearms. Sure I have had quite a few that were not the best in the world, but I have always seemed to adapt in one form or another to produce good results as far as accuracy. In other words I have never had to replace a stock trigger.

Then my lovely wife buys me a 917m2 for my birthday last month. Accuracy is awesome! That is if you clamp it down in a vise. Shoot it any other way, you will be lucky to hit air with it! I am not kidding! It has the WORST trigger I have ever squeezed. This new T-900 trigger might be a better design as Marlin claims, but you have to have some muscles in your trigger finger to pop of a round off.

I have pretty much decided to replace the trigger with a Basix. Any other recommendations are surely welcomed.

Recently I gave my Marlin 30AW 30-30 to a young man that I took under my wing. I get to introduce this fella to whitetail hunting this coming fall. I think I am more excited about it than he is. Before I met this 16 year old, he had never fired a gun. Well, I just had to change that. In any case, I am going to replace that 30AW with a new 336.

Now, my 336 .35 has one of the sweetest triggers I have ever "stroked". Maybe because it is 36 years old and I have put 1000's of rounds through it, but nevertheless it's sweet. Every 336 I have ever fired has had good triggers. In fact, every Marlin I have shot has had a trigger that I could live with, that is until now. I have read some of you folks replacing your triggers on your 336's. Were they really that bad? ( I know that is a relative question) And how old was your 336 that you replaced the trigger on?

Most of the less than perfect triggers I have encountered have been on bolt action rifles. Any rifle I have ever fired that had an exposed hammer have had good triggers, at least in my opinion. Same goes for my single action pistols.

Ya'lls input on this would be very much greatly appreciated. I just can't imagine a "bad" trigger on a 336, old or new, but the world still has lawyers so anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Whats a 917m2?

There is no excuse for a bad trigger. Sorta like a dull knife, you have to force the issue you wind up cutting something you didn't mean to cut, like your hand, or shooting something you didn't mean to shoot, it's ridiculous. Such a premise is flawed and illogical based on nothing more than touchy feely prattle to passify the kook fringe who will never be accomodated no matter what we do.

You can't blame the industry, they are trying to keep their noses clean. So I will continue to buy aftermarket accessories, including quality triggers, that will make my firearms safer.

SS

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
........"sorta like a dull knife"........ I couldn't have said it better.

Oh yeah, I can't let this line go by without input........

"Such a premise is flawed and illogical based on nothing more than touchy feely prattle to passify the kook fringe who will never be accomodated no matter what we do."

Now that is what you call a "hissy fit" with style, and class! :lol: I would want you on my debate team! :wink:

The Marlin 917m2 is their rimfire bolt action that shoots the new .17 mach2 caliber. Basicly a .22lr necked down to a .17 caliber. Stupid name for a caliber I think , but it is a pretty cool round. I guess you can say it is the little brother to the .17 hornady mag.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/boltaction/917M2.aspx

I didn't find any typo's in this link. :lol:

·
Registered
482 Posts
So far I guess I've been lucky? I own 2 336's currently, my boy has a M60, my dad has a 336 and a Marlin bolt action .22(not sure of the model). All have serviceable triggers and my 336's are down right sweet. To be fair though those are all pre CBS.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I've got a 1964-vintage 336 RC in 30-30 that had the absolute WORST trigger I've ever pulled on a Marlin. It cleaned up pretty nicely, so I can't complain, but bad triggers aren't always a modern problem! (But anything you can blame on lawyers is okay with me. :wink: )

On the other hand, my 1894SS in 44 has the sweetest trigger I've ever pulled on a levergun, and I think the stainless construction has something to do with it. It took a LONG time to slick up, but now it's like oiled silk, very smooth and a lot lighter than when I bought it. Just one more thing to love about stainless guns!

Papajohn

·
Registered
145 Posts
PapaJohn,
Need some help about your 1894ss-44mag. I have a chance to get one NIB. All I know about it is that it's from Davidson's and has 16-1/2 brl,and told only 351 ever made. Is this true and what is the value now? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, SpikeMaster49 :D :) 8) :lol: :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts