Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
I guess "they" want to erase history that offends them, because they can't change history.

I am 100% against renaming these forts, because it's an important part of our military history.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Rewriting history eh. When did that ever go wrong?

Its similar here, taking down statues of those who owned slaves for example. Couple of problems there, first being that slavery, the enslavement of one by another is wrong and has no place in the world of today. We know that because we learn from the past, hide the past and our kids grow up not being aware of the lessons learned. Next, the fact is, like it or not these things were not seen as wrong at the time. They were, of course but not seen as such at the time. Hiding it can not suddenly make it okay.

Tell me, there are those who deny the murder of six million Jews and others in WW2 by the Germans and thier pals. Men, women and children. Fortunatly we can prove it happened thanks to the history, those who were there and recorded it. Or will someone someday decide it offends the Germans and thus, should be hidden away.

re writing or hiding history cant change it. It can make learning from it harder.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
"Trying to erase History, is anti American! How are our next generation going to learned the good and bad of our history?"

From what I have been hearing lately, they don't even teach history or civics anymore. Guess if they don't teach it, then it didn't happen. :mad:(n)
Paul B.

·
Registered
641 Posts
All part of the plan. The Commies have been working on taking over us from the inside since 1917. That is why America has been dumbed down for the last 30 years. Disconnect people from history and they have no history. Exactly what Chairman Mao did along with the rest of the murderous dictators throughout history. Oh I’m sorry did I mention History?

·
Super Moderator
10,832 Posts
I have one caveat to this, the fort must be named for a Medal of Honor recipient.
Good suggestion and a very good way to prevent "Woke" liberals from transforming our history of Forts with "Looney liberal woke rainbow names".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rewriting history eh. When did that ever go wrong?

Its similar here, taking down statues of those who owned slaves for example. Couple of problems there, first being that slavery, the enslavement of one by another is wrong and has no place in the world of today. We know that because we learn from the past, hide the past and our kids grow up not being aware of the lessons learned. Next, the fact is, like it or not these things were not seen as wrong at the time. They were, of course but not seen as such at the time. Hiding it can not suddenly make it okay.

Tell me, there are those who deny the murder of six million Jews and others in WW2 by the Germans and thier pals. Men, women and children. Fortunatly we can prove it happened thanks to the history, those who were there and recorded it. Or will someone someday decide it offends the Germans and thus, should be hidden away.

re writing or hiding history cant change it. It can make learning from it harder.
Went to Jamestown, VA a year or two ago...speaking of slavery...little known fact Captain John Smith (of Pocahontas fame) was a slave at one point...I believe in Turkey....

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Went to Jamestown, VA a year or two ago...speaking of slavery...little known fact Captain John Smith (of Pocahontas fame) was a slave at one point...I believe in Turkey....
Arab pirates in the 16th and 17th century used to raid the south coast of Britian and Ireland taking people to be sold into slavery. Slavery was outlawed in Britian in 1807, with no one being allowed to own or trade in slaves. Obviously a huge and complicated subject and no better example of why re writing or hiding history can only deprive us of valuable lessons.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Did you go to Williamsburg while down there? It was a great visit for my wife and I in the mid 80's

Oh, by the way, at one time slavery was legal in the North, too.
In a book on John Adams he was opposed to slavery. But many ships sailing out of Boston were in the slave trade.

Fort Wayne, Indiana was named for General MAD Anthony Wayne. Formally Kekionga a Miami Indiana village. There was a movement to change the name back to Kekionga. When the Woke make the decisions they really have no clue as to the cost. It is not just a few welcome signs and updating GPS and maps. Everyone in that town or fort is affected. Checkbooks, drivers license, return address labels. Business, Schools and government all are affected.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you go to Williamsburg while down there? It was a great visit for my wife and I in the mid 80's

In a book on John Adams he was opposed to slavery. But many ships sailing out of Boston were in the slave trade.

Fort Wayne, Indiana was named for General MAD Anthony Wayne. Formally Kekionga a Miami Indiana village. There was a movement to change the name back to Kekionga. When the Woke make the decisions they really have no clue as to the cost. It is not just a few welcome signs and updating GPS and maps. Everyone in that town or fort is affected. Checkbooks, drivers license, return address labels. Business, Schools and government all are affected.
I have been to Williamsburg, yes. Ate at the restaurant G.W. frequented...I live in Va Beach so it's not far.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts