Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to wax all my firearms with this stuff since it seems to be the cat's meow wax. Any one use it on stainless steel? Know I have to remove any other oils before applying, what's best to remove it? Any other tips?
Thanks Scott

·
Registered
506 Posts
first, it is not a wax per se`
Next just use some acetone to wipe off the oils from the gun you are going to "wax"
Then ALWAYS keep a microfiber cloth handy because you will be wiping the gun after every use.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I believe there is a difference between degreasing-say for blueing, and removing the oils. Degreasing requires acetone, alcohol, or brake or carb cleaner and the idea is to remove every trace of oil or grease.

For the Renaissance Wax, I just wiped mine off with a new, dry rag, then added the wax. I would hesitate to degrease, since if the solvent got inside the action, there might not be any rust protection inside, if I couldn't get there with the wax.

Benefits said to be elimination of fingerprints on safe queens, maintenance of shiny finish, and water beading on treated surfaces. Again, I believe most owners just use it on the outside.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Let the surface get a little warm, about like it would setting in the sun, makes a difference in the protection. I use this on most of my firearms.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Look up MidwayUSA's channel on YouTube. They have a short video where Larry Potterfield puts Rennaissance Wax on an old dirty looking rifle, and it really cleans it up nicely.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just started using this wax and after giving my 45/70 a good cleaning after some target shooting yesterday, I gave the metalwork a good wax job. I was amazed by the discoloration on the application cloth, as it appears to have removed some rust from the metalwork that was not visiable. Btw, this is a 2001 JM marked Marlin that is in excellent condition. I'm very happy with the results of using this product, here's a picture of the application cloth ...

Attachments

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
551 Posts
woodturners use it a lot to protect/shine finished pieces. have used it on pens and peppermills for years.

Reactions: 256WinMag

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've never used it on guns but I use it for all my knives ( I collect them) and their sheaths. I do the blades and the handles. Never had any problems with rust or stains. Even with long term storage. I'll have to start using it on my firearms also.

Mark T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts