·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to totally remove verdigris from bullet copper jackets? TIA

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Are these loose or loaded bullets ? If they are loose, would put them in the tumbler/vibration case cleaner thingy, with corn cob media and add enough brass polish to moisten the media just a little, done that before. Do not use brass polish on the brass case as it is said, it can attack the brass and weaken the case.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are pulled bullets! The powder they were loaded with went bad and toasted the virgin brass they were loaded in! Am hoping to get the bullets cleaned up enough to be reusable again.
Whatcha thing about soaking in white vinegar and baking soda?

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you are set up to clean brass with stainless steel media I would give that a try.
I ran a bunch of pulled bullets that had black sealant on them and they came out perfect.

REK

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are set up to clean brass with stainless steel media I would give that a try.
I ran a bunch of pulled bullets that had black sealant on them and they came out perfect.

REK
Nope, all I got is a Lyman turbo tumbler with walnut media. Bullets are Speer .224 70 grainers, JSPs

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't have a tumbler but I've cleaned bullets individually using Brasso. I'd think adding it to your tumbler media would do the trick. You'd have to clean the bullets in something like soapy water afterward. I'm not sure what's in Brasso but it smells like it contains a little ammonia and feels like it also contains a fine polishing grit. It might be worth a try. You can find Brasso at almost any drug store or big grocery store.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've used Brasso on brass YEARS ago and it ruined the brass, LOTS of split necks! I'd rather not use it on any components of cartridges. YMMV

·
Administrator
28,037 Posts
These are pulled bullets! The powder they were loaded with went bad and toasted the virgin brass they were loaded in! Am hoping to get the bullets cleaned up enough to be reusable again.
Whatcha thing about soaking in white vinegar and baking soda?

Vinegar and baking soda works good for decontamination after bonding my bullets but it won't remove verdigris. You'll still need to tumble them and I'd do what graymustang said, walnut media can deform SP's to some degree. Corn cob media is softer/less agressive/abrasive so it shouldn't deform the bullets SP's. Add a bit of polish to shorten the tumbling time.

Jack

·
Registered
14,315 Posts
If it’s lose bullets I give them a soak in the concentrated cleaner HVac uses to flush condenser coils.
Comes in gallon jugs and mixes with water. Will soften oxidation and make it easier to tumble off.

·
Administrator
28,037 Posts
Is there any way to totally remove verdigris from bullet copper jackets? TIA
The wife recommends putting the bullets in a metal colander and running them in the dishwasher. Which turned into a debate but she swears your bullets will come out looking new. I informed her I would post it to see what others say.

I would tumble them. LOL

Jack

·
Registered
309 Posts
Your Lyman tumbler with walnut media will work fine.Just check every couple hours you might not get them to look like new but but they will be clean.My oldest son is always buying box lots at sale I've done thousands of bullets it will round off a pointed lead tip a little thats why I only do them clean not sparkling

1 - 18 of 18 Posts