Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the see through scope mount on my 30AS, gets in the way of the irons a little too much for my taste and didn't like having a scope so high. I haven't decided if I'll go with irons or mount a scope lower yet. But first I have to get the damn see through mounts off.. the first screw on each ring came off no problem.. the last one on each refuses to budge though.. :hmmmm: any ideas? I have to run the screwdriver through a small hole in the top of the rings.. I felt like I was close to breaking the screwdriver. So I tried using wd-40 and tapping it with a hammer.. no luck yet..

Does anyone have any hidden wisdom I'm missing out on? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...There are different kinds of screwdrivers? :shot:

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Yep. Flat ground vs hollow ground. You want hollow ground ones for working on guns and anything else of value. Walmart sells a serviceable set as do most big gun shops. No need to buy the best. Just replace them as needed.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Gunsmith screwdriver (hollow ground) will grip the screw at the bottom of the slot. It's much less likely to strip the screw. ...but the screw can still break off if you force it too much. Follow the directions above.

Brownells, Midway, Sportsman's Guide. Grace Tool.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I had the same issue with a mount. I ended up drilling the screw out, but if you do, just be careful not to nick the rifle when the drill bit pops it. I didn't have an issue, as soon as I was through the top of the drill bit, the rings popped right off.

As far as scopes. I put a NcStar 4 reticle Reflex sight on mine today. Does red and green with 4 different sight options. I couldn't be happier with it, allows me to get on tgt quick and see everything around it. It is not actually a scope, it is just a sight, but it is awesome. Amazon.com: NcSTAR Red Dot Sight TACTICAL RED DOT WITH 4 DIFFERENT RETICLES/BLACK: Sports & Outdoors . It is made in communist china though, but the browning one like it won't hold up to my .35 .

I had a Redfield Revolution 2x7x33 on it before, liked it, just not as much. I also know several people who have put shotgun scopes on them and really like them. Just user preference i guess. I took my rifle with me to the gun shop, put several scopes on it, and then picked the one I liked best.

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun
Gun Rifle Air gun Trigger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.