Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to remove the forearm for a newly acquired 336 (1977 yr make). I removed the screw and slid the band forward of the forearm. I noticed that the forearm channel actually partially wraps around the magazine tube.

So it appears that I have to remove the front sight, then remove the foreward barrel band, and then slide the forearm wood off. Is that right? And...is there anything I need to watch for when doing this? Do I need to also remove the magazine tube end cap and spring?

Thanks

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
You do have to remove the cap. The screw that holds it in place seats into the barrel and will prevent the mag tube from moving. If you're careful and patient you can usually work the mag tube forward without taking off the front sight and bands. The bands will want to bind up as you move the tube though so you have to watch that. It doesn't always work, depends on how tight the front band is.

If you do pull the front sight, more than likely you'll need to tap out the sight itself from the ramp as there is probably a screw underneath it. I like to pull the bands completely off at least once so I can run some 600gr paper around the insides to loosen them up just a touch. I also slightly open the left side hole in the rear band that the retaining pin sits in.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tap out the front sight from left to right, the right side being the side the loading and ejection ports are on.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This 336 has the front sight in a blade being held on with two screws. I'm probably going to have to take that off, but I will try removing the forearm with the magazine tube first before taking the sight off.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
If you can see both screws I'd just take the sight off. Its alot easier with less chance of scratching things than trying to pull the tube all the way thru it.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Leverdude said:
If you can see both screws I'd just take the sight off. Its alot easier with less chance of scratching things than trying to pull the tube all the way thru it.
Also, removing the ramp and sight will avoid the risk of breaking the screws when trying to drive out the sight. Those screws are not very robust (8/40's at best) and the barrel's tapped holes are quite shallow...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts