Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have been away for a while, but I am thinking about getting a new 336. I want the 336ss to be exact.

Are the new Remlin 336s good? I have heard about some QC issues, and I would like to be informed before making a purchase. Give me your thoughts please. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
Re: Renlins? What is the Skinny?

I am happy with my remlin 1895 ABL, though the fit and finish are not as good as my 2007 vintage 336C. I think you need to look over the exact gun you are thinking of buying in person to be sure you are OK with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, how can you tell what year a Marlin was made? I am sure you can look at the Serial. Anyone know? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,448 Posts
GarMan, welcome. You do not tell us where you hang out, but if you have several pawn shops and gun shops that deal in used as well as new, IMO you should shop the used market. Do not be surprised if nice used and new remlins are about the same price. The used New Haven issues proofed with a JM on the barrel near the receiver may be worth more as lots of folks are disappointed with the New York quality control. Hopefully the new hands will get better, but it will not as long as we accept junky production. Some are getting good products from Rem., but not everyone. The few that I have looked at were sub-par IMO. Good shopping, Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jack therwhanger said:
GarMan, welcome. You do not tell us where you hang out, but if you have several pawn shops and gun shops that deal in used as well as new, IMO you should shop the used market. Do not be surprised if nice used and new remlins are about the same price. The used New Haven issues proofed with a JM on the barrel near the receiver may be worth more as lots of folks are disappointed with the New York quality control. Hopefully the new hands will get better, but it will not as long as we accept junky production. Some are getting good products from Rem., but not everyone. The few that I have looked at were sub-par IMO. Good shopping, Jack
Hey Jack! Thanks!

I am a Texan like you. I am 37 years old, and I live in Austin, TX.

Speaking of Texans. Here is my 1980 Texan.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
GarMan, it is my understanding that to find out the year of manufacture, subtract the first two digits of the serial number from 100. Example, if first two numbers are 91, subtract from 100 = 09, so made in 2009. I don't know how far this goes back, but I know it applies to the newer ones.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,823 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doc Fillem said:
GarMan, it is my understanding that to find out the year of manufacture, subtract the first two digits of the serial number from 100. Example, if first two numbers are 91, subtract from 100 = 09, so made in 2009. I don't know how far this goes back, but I know it applies to the newer ones.
OK. I have seen one with the serial starting with "MR"? Is that a remlin?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
I finally figured out what RM stands for "Run Motherblanker" ;D ;D ;D

What is it you are looking for anyway because we may be able to help. Some might have a slighly used whatever you're looking for and might be able to sell or trade it to you. I'm trading with a member for a 1991 never fired 1895ss right now so you never know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
skmarsh77 said:
I finally figured out what RM stands for "Run Motherblanker" ;D ;D ;D

What is it you are looking for anyway because we may be able to help. Some might have a slighly used whatever you're looking for and might be able to sell or trade it to you. I'm trading with a member for a 1991 never fired 1895ss right now so you never know.
Now that is funny! ;D

Azbagger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
skmarsh77 said:
I finally figured out what RM stands for "Run Motherblanker" ;D ;D ;D

What is it you are looking for anyway because we may be able to help. Some might have a slighly used whatever you're looking for and might be able to sell or trade it to you. I'm trading with a member for a 1991 never fired 1895ss right now so you never know.
I am looking around for a Marlin 336ss in 30-30. I would like NIB, but not a Remlin. I can do used though. I have a few things to trade as well.

So, I found a used one made in 2009 (the serial started with a 91), and it has the JM stamp mark on the barrel. This should be a true Marlin right?

Thanks all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
well not always. The 91 serial numbered rifles look like they were made for almost 2 years. the early ones were made at the old plant for sure in north haven. It seems like some of the parts might have been used to make rifles at the new plant in new york. I have no idea how to know which ones were and which ones weren't. Some of those rifles were just fine and some weren't. My 91 serial jm marked 336BL had a poorly indexed barrel and had to go back to remington for repair. If you can actually hold it an squeeze it and hug it when you go to buy it then take a good look and if it looks good then you might have a good one. If you can't then buyer beware. check out this site and you will get a good idea of what to look for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
I bought a used 91xxxxxx s/n 336SS for my son a few months ago. It was stamped JM and was in LNIB shape. So they are out there if you keep your eyes open...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found another one here is what he had to say. "Hard to tell but looks like a W with M stamped over
the W." The serial for this gun starts with 94. So, a 2006? I am thinking this is a safer bet? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
GarMan said:
I found another one here is what he had to say. "Hard to tell but looks like a W with M stamped over
the W." The serial for this gun starts with 94. So, a 2006? I am thinking this is a safer bet? Thanks.
BUY IT. ;)

Cheers, Scott.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top