Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Remlinized - The story of my 1895CB (pictures added)

I purchased the rifle in October 2019 (03KN date code-May 2019) and after a bit of work cleaning up the action it was nice, smooth and fun to shoot. At this point I started heading down the rabbit hole of upgrades. A RPP lever and mag tube follower were the first items followed by a RPP peep sight. That's when the fun began.....the peep was supposed to help my accuracy improve but it was worse. Then I noticed it felt like something was "loose" when I transitioned rapidly from one steel silhouette to another. Sure enough, by hold the stock firmly in place and grabbing the end of the barrel I could see movement between the receiver and barrel.....WTH?
Pretty sure that's not the way it should be so I call Marlin and get a service request ticket going and shipping label back to the factory.They advised me to remove any accessories I had installed and low and behold when I remove the magazine tube to reinstall the factory follower I find that I can spin the barrel right off the receiver :eek::eek:.
Now with the barrel hand tight to the receiver the top flat is past the point of lining up with top flat of the receiver. It appears to me that whoever assembled it decided to use the front scope mount fill screw to hold the barrel snug instead of getting one that would time correctly with the receiver. When I installed the RPP peep I mounted it in the forward position and in doing so removed the one screw used to keep the barrel in place..... The fact that someone would allow a rifle to leave the factory like this is unsettling and potentially dangerous. Now I have to sit and wait for Marlin to assess the rifle and decide on a course of action and I'm not at all happy.
The rifle is on it's way back to Marlin and we'll see how they decide to handle the situation. I'll post updates as they occur.

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Waffletop;8171489]The cell building your rifle wouldn't have made the daily quota if they had stopped to fix your problem. They let the return dept take care those issues....if the buyer survives after shooting it and is able to file a complaint and mail the rifle back..........
There I corrected your statement.........LOL

OP you're actually a very lucky man...you're not injured and you're still alive.

·
Registered
930 Posts
They will probably send you a new rifle so I hope you did remove all the after market parts.
Here in CA, this means a new serial, another $75 FFL fee, another $40 background check fee, another $25 safety course fee (if yours is expired) and another 10-day waiting period.

Stoeger wanted to do this to me on when my new Coach gun broke the barrel lug after the 12th shell.
I told them this happens far too often, and just send me a refund.
And they did.

I will be needing another lever rifle, but in 44 mag.
I really do like my 1894CB in 357, but I will probably get the Uberti '73 even though it does not come with the octagon barrel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
Here in CA, this means a new serial, another $75 FFL fee, another $40 background check fee, another $25 safety course fee (if yours is expired) and another 10-day waiting period.

Stoeger wanted to do this to me on when my new Coach gun broke the barrel lug after the 12th shell.
I told them this happens far too often, and just send me a refund.
And they did.

I will be needing another lever rifle, but in 44 mag.
I really do like my 1894CB in 357, but I will probably get the Uberti '73 even though it does not come with the octagon barrel.
Exactly, this on top of the fact that I have already paid the transfer fees for this one since nobody seems interested in stocking a 1895CB. Why marlin couldn't make one just half as nice as the Uberti is beyond me. As much as it pains me to admit I'd bet that an 1895 made in China would be just as good as what Remlin is producing.

·
Super Moderator
26,632 Posts
Well, this story beats everything I've heard. OP, certainly Remington is capable of producing an acceptable product as many members here will attest. Yet, they are equally capable of putting out utter turds when the assembly pod only gets 2.5 minutes to assemble one. Consequently, new Marlins amount to a roll of the dice and that is unfortunate. I'm not one to gamble and for that reason, I have nothing but JM Marlins or Henry's.

FWIW, if this happened to me, I wouldn't be sending it in for repairs, nor would I accept a new Marlin. It's be returned for a dammed refund and buy a JM Marlin or a Henry.

Jack

·
Registered
930 Posts
I shoot cowboy, so Henry is out, and for valid reasons.
However, I own a Henry Frontier 22LR, and the fit, finish and operation are flawless.
We use it as a trainer, not a race gun.

The '73 action is ideally suited for cowboy race gun stuff.
It is inherently smoother than my 1894CB.

If/When I pick up a 44 mag, it will be the Uberti for the above reason, and because of the hit-or-miss problems with Marlin quality.

·
Super Moderator
26,632 Posts
Agreed, bgavin, Uberti's are cream of the crop. Yet, my mention of Henry was in regards to BBS 45-70 which are fine rifles.

I happen to love Uberti High Wall rifles.

Jack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some pictures of the rifle, just my cell phone so the quality isn't that great. In the ones with the barrel attached it's just snugged up to the receiver an you can see that it's turned past the point where the flats would be aligned. in the one with the two plug screws you can sort of see that the one on the left is buggered up from having been tightened against the barrel.
20200213_213645_resized.jpg 20200213_213652_resized.jpg 20200213_213700_resized.jpg 20200213_213719_resized.jpg 20200213_213812_resized.jpg 20200213_214035_resized.jpg 20200213_221135_resized.jpg 20200213_221305_resized.jpg 20200213_221320_resized.jpg 20200213_221347_resized.jpg

·
Super Moderator
24,029 Posts
This is as bad as the cracked Remlin Mod 1895 receivers that were shown on MO about 6 or 7 years ago.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts