Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second thread on this "new to me" SBL made by Remington (yes, I broke down and bought a Remlin), here are the "detailed" pics from the different angles I was asked to take from various MO members!

Here is the only part that doesn't fit as well as could be, the synthetic stock is a bit proud on the top tang:

See below for more pics:

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Well, that certainly is an improvement from the Remlins I have seen previously. I really couldn't see any open space between the receiver, the barrel, and the stock. It looks good. Is it possible that Remington is FINALLY getting their act together?

Did you buy that in a LGS or a chain store?

What did they rock you for it? (if you don't mind me asking-or if you do-you can plead the 5th).

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: mazer

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, I got that from a LGS, I got it at what I think is regular retail, $929+tax. I still wouldn't buy a Remlin sight unseen, but it's possible that they are finally getting it together....just wouldn't take it for granted yet.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The one bought about 2 months ago looks similar with the exception of the tang. I was impressed overall withe the fit and finish of it and bought it...After a complete strip and reassembly it is singing like a song bird...You'll definitely enjoy it.
Dan

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
Mike, I got that from a LGS, I got it at what I think is regular retail, $929+tax. I still wouldn't buy a Remlin sight unseen, but it's possible that they are finally getting it together....just wouldn't take it for granted yet.
That's how I bought my 2012 Remlin 308MX--gave it a good old fashioned US Army functions check in the store. I would never buy one online either. Its been a great rifle for me--4 DRT whitetails with it so far.

Reactions: mazer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pics to follow, but....

I can't believe it. A SBL just arrived at the store and it is perfect. I was told that new CNC machines were on the way. Well I guess they got them and figured out how to use them. Several parts, including the loading gate, are highly polished. Maybe this is the turning point for the better.

BTW: ours has the "new" silver laminate stocks with the brown checking inset. Different but looks good.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Wood to metal fit has definitely improved, no ugly gaps!

Reactions: dek16001 and mazer

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sturm, just look it over carefully and you should be good to go! If it is a new SBL, you are probably good to go, check the fit, cycle it, make sure when you look through the peep sight that the front sight is straight.
Good luck and let us know when you get it and of course....pics!

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Mazer, that is one beautiful rifle! Of course you will let us know how it shoots and cycles once you get out there!

Where I live in Central PA, the largest Gun Dealer/Wholesaler in the state is about a 40 minute drive from me. (Grice's Gun Shop, Clearfield, PA) North Central PA is the mecca of Hunters, Fishermen, Watersports, Trappers, Old Hippies that do everything outdoors, except for maybe hold a job. There is a competitor about two blocks away from Grice (Bob's Army & Navy) that discounts their Firearms more than Grice because they have too. The last time I was in both places, Grice was selling the Blued 1895 45-70 for $549.00. Bob's selling price was $529.00. Retail $599.00. There is another gun shop in Philipsburg, which is a short drive from Clearfield, (also a good size place that just expanded) and their prices are lower than the two shops in Clearfield. So, we usually don't pay retail here, and no one is complaining. There is still a decent supply of used JM Stamped Marlins here too.

From the nice pics you Posted, it looks like the QC is really up to snuff. I know we have a Remington employee that frequents this site and he Posted that changes were underway. Hopefully, we have seen the last of the poor quality.

The one issue is that if Remington moves out of NY state because of the Left Wing idiots running the Asylum and the ridiculous taxes there, that might throw the wrench in the works if they have to move again.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike, this is the first decent Marlin I've seen, most are still kinda so-so, but hopefully things are turning around to the point where you would feel safe ordering one "sight unseen". This was also the first SBL I've seen in person that was a Remlin, so I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Mazer: Nice looking gun you have there even if it's a Rem. I've got a new one also but it's a 1885 GS. really like the stain-
less steel, two pic's posted on the Rem. forum. not getting looked at to much but that' ok, I looked it over and it seems
pretty good, check all the bad things I heard about and there not there. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet but looking
forward to it. Really like the pistol grip and the large lever on yours, good luck and happy shooting.
John

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cajunjohn, congrats on the new GS! Post pics here, we'll give it the looks it needs! I did get to shoot mine, and it is very accurate, haven't actually got to sit down with it and go for much accuracy but I had to put a few rounds though it! I'm sure you'll love it! Just do what you did prior to purchase and you should be fine!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your rifle has much better wood to metal fit than the six new ones I looked at last month. If I would of found one as nice as yours it would of followed me home.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My SBL is the same way, no gaps the wood fits great and it has clean lines and shoots
extremely well.
I'm glad to see Remington QC has kept improving.
Nice looking SBL you have! :congrats:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been looking at all the new ones I can and it seems to me that the SN's ending in the letter D are all in all pretty damned nice. The few I have seen
ending in E were even better. I assume that E's are 2014 and D's are 2013 ? might be wrong but the one 2014 336ltd1 I handled, SN ended in a E , was really nice. Of course this isn't
a function test just a fit and finish look over.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts