Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite my warning a friend purchased a Remlin:thrasher:Same old dance and song he is having problems. The previous owner has done some work to it the trigger is very good, the recoil pad replaced with Linbsaver, and the action was smoothed out. Skinner sights installed. After I examined my friends purchase I thought that he got a good deal. :elefant:

We went to the range today and the rifle jammed right from the get go. Seems the loading gate moved in and out like it is supposed to but it also moves up and down and when jacking in a round it jams in and up not allowing the round to chamber. It takes a screw driver to pry the gate down to allow the round to chamber.

Any idea what is the problem? is there something missing that keeps the gate from wobbling up and down? On mine the gate only goes in and closes back up again no up and down wobble.

The previous owner wont return his calls or emails :reddy:

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I won't by a used lever action rifle J.M. or otherwise without first cycling at least four dummy rounds through the action. Maybe if your friend had done this he wouldn't be in a jam now.
I think that he should find a gunsmith that knows lever guns and let him fix it. Make sure that you spread the word about the seller that won't respond.

·
Super Moderator
11,169 Posts
Is the loading gate screw good and tight?
If the little screw is tight then the groove in the receiver must be wider than the long tang on the loading gate to allow it to move up and down. You may need to strip it down to the bare receiver to check the width of the loading gate groove machined into the inside of the receiver. The edges should be square (Unless they got rounded off from aggressive polishing). You can tighten up the fit by peening the edges of the loading gate tang (Stay away from the screw hole) to slightly widen it and make it fit tight in the groove. Then use blue Loctite on the screw. You should not need to cinch down the little screw overly tight as the groove and the precise fit of the loading gate tang holds it in place. This tiny screw will strip if you over tighten it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is some good advice Cowboy23 I was thinking of tearing down mine alongside of his to compare the bits and pieces to see if something is missing.
I purchased my JM online without cycling a handful of rounds and everything works perfect.

Reactions: Marlinjunkie
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.