Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
285 Posts
I got some really nice Century Limited stocks that have good checkering, the problem is the matching Remlin Forends have the crap checkering on them, so I have nicely checkered buttstocks with crappy checkering on the forend. Sanding the forends smooth leaves me with a mismatch. I'd debated getting checkering tools and trying to trace the lines to sharpen up the crappy Remlin checkering, but I balked at seeing what checkering tools cost, and knowing that I likely lack the coordination to do a good job.

I guess my alternative would be to sand the forends smooth and then have the forends checkered by a pro.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
It is pressed in and not cut. We call it "Lizzard Skin" checkering. I experimented with carefully going over the lines with a checkering file and it does clean up quite nice but is very time consuming. I did this to my 308ME Remlin----as a matter of fact I also stripped it and did a nice Tru Oil finish on it. I don't like the Poly finish they use as it looks dry----like there is no finish in it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts