Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Remention is bankrupt

They have filed chapter 11 & are trying to sell the co to the Navajo's. If this happens it will have to get better.The law suite over Sandyhook did them in, so they say.

·
Registered
534 Posts
from here, assuming it's true... the smartest gun is the one I have, and the others don't.
since it would appear to be a strictly mil-contract oriented production, it is not difficult to guess who should have weapons, and who will be outsmarted, because obviously those weapons are not necessary to him_ of course, a company that depended only on government orders would survive thanks to a single customer...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Marlin was screwed up before Remington and then was more screwed up and now it's all the screwed up. I have only on Remington and it's from about 1976. All my Marlins are WAY before the last take over. I'm safe.

·
Super Moderator
25,777 Posts
Threads merged, one thread on this sore topic in enough.

Jack

Reactions: GasGuzzler

·
Registered
130 Posts
A sad tale to be sure. As mentioned early in this thread, MBAs with no common sense or idea of what the public wanted ran this company, like Winchester in 1964, into the dirt. I might add that the liberal use of frivolous law suits in selected courts favorable to such nonsense hasn't helped either.

On a personal note, An 870 Super Mag for waterfowl hunting is the only Remington that I've bought since the mid 70s and that was an 870 too. I just can't come to grips with the current virtually disposable rifles that they are now producing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well...
I can say I was lucky to actually get a new Marlin 444 last summer, before this last bankruptcy.
I hope they don´t go belly up.It would be a shame to see them go under.
Oh well....

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
Well...
I can say I was lucky to actually get a new Marlin 444 last summer, before this last bankruptcy.
I hope they don´t go belly up.It would be a shame to see them go under.
Oh well....

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk
Will your new 444 load 240's and 265's into the tube smoothly?.................

Tom

·
Registered
19,945 Posts
Or maybe an elaborate 'left handed' (no pun intended) plan to eliminate another gun manufacturer?.
That would be a possibility if one was of a mind to 'dirty deal' another gun manufacturer to its grave.

Me, I still have a NIB Remington 1100 semi-automatic in .410 I was going to let go of - guess I may hang on to it, it may be an item one day.

Truth is, Remington's been around long enough (even before they took over Marlin Firearms) for their guns to be around a long time even if they go OOB. There are enough 870s and 1100s alone to keep them popular for along time to come.

I'll keep my Marlins, too!

Gr8rtst.

·
Banned
285 Posts
A sad tale to be sure. As mentioned early in this thread, MBAs with no common sense or idea of what the public wanted ran this company, like Winchester in 1964, into the dirt. I might add that the liberal use of frivolous law suits in selected courts favorable to such nonsense hasn't helped either.

On a personal note, An 870 Super Mag for waterfowl hunting is the only Remington that I've bought since the mid 70s and that was an 870 too. I just can't come to grips with the current virtually disposable rifles that they are now producing.
Remington's quality has gone in the crapper. Marlin too. Freedom group did it to both brands.

I grew up shooting Remingtons. ALL of my shotguns save one are Remingtons, and the newer ones are junk compared to the older ones.

When a company ceases to make a quality product, whether or not they continue to exist becomes irrelevant to me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good bye remlin hello H.R.A.
I suspect some prospective Marlin owners might gravitate to Henry IF Marlin were to disappear but It would probably be a first time gun owner as opposed to someone who is an experienced gun owner or who has say owned 'traditional' lever action rifles before.

I own one Henry (A BBB in .357 and it will be the only one) and bought it more less of out of 'curiosity' after owning a problematic Winchester Trapper .357 for many years. I like the Henry and it is a quality gun - I think I got lucky as mine was excellent from day one and continues to be - but if I had to do it all over I would have probably looked for a JM, pre CB Marlin .357.

This is not the say the Henry is a bad gun in any way but I tend to be a 'traditionalist' and like older, 'classic' guns as opposed to new.

Unfortunately I have a personal criticism of Henry for expanding their model base so dramatic and wide in such a short time. While some of the new models are no doubt a great addition (the steel model levers for one) it seems a lot of their additions are guns that appear to be 'displayed' only and never fired. Their extensive 'tribute' and 'special edition' lines would be an example of this. I also find some of their designs extremely distasteful with the bright colors, odd designs and pictures on the stocks (I mean who wants a rifle with poor color engravings of a group of cowboys sitting around a campfire on the buttstock ?)

Also why has Henry NOT released a pistol caliber side loader in a BBB, CC or steel model other than in the 'X' model? I think they would sell more of those models in a side loader than the 'X' models - and probably as many or more than in the rifle calibers.

Henry has a very obvious 'target market' however I think they should have remained along more traditional lines and only carefully and cautiously introduced introduced new models, tribute and special editions.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Henry is turning a profit and not going bankrupt, so they do have that going for them, which is nice.
I wish they would buy the Marlin brand and do exactly as you stated, however, and keep the simple Marlin tradition and styling alive for another hundred years.
R/Griff

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wish they would buy the Marlin brand and do exactly as you stated, however, and keep the simple Marlin tradition and styling alive for another hundred years.
Excellent idea! - but no weird colors or designs just nice wood and blued steel - OK and maybe one or two models in SS!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Oh here we go again with the "Henry should buy Marlin" . This has not only been beat to death on this site but also put six feet under. Would G.M. buy Yugo? Why would the company that makes more rifles,levers, and others buy a dead and rotting carcass that is remlin.? Not only would that be an idiotic business move but would totally destroy a reputation for good products and excellent customer service that has taken more than two decades to build up.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts