1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nothing good at all about a major gun manufacturer being driven to bankruptcy by lawsuits from Sandy Hook victims. If this is allowed to happen, or can happen to a huge corporation like Remington...then who is next? If Bloomberg and the antis find another vulnerability, then no gunmaker will be safe. They'll just sue them out of business. Smaller, newer makers like Palmetto wouldn't stand a chance as they don't have the legal personnel and the capital to wage endless defenses in court. The Navajo Nation buying out Remington seems like an oddball scenario, too. Hell, Mike Bloomberg and George Soros could easily buy Remington and then liquidate all its tangible assets without losing more than a negligible amount of their investment. Nothing good at all from any POV...in my POV.

P.S. What brand of weapons did Paddock use in the Las Vegas shootings? Just think how many people could sue those makers?

·
Banned
3,196 Posts
Remington has made poor decisions for decades, for example the safety on 700's could have been fool proofed for just pennies a unit and they failed to make the change, I would think big corporations would have lawsuit insurance to go along with the boat loads of lawyers they employ. the quality control has been anything but stellar for decades now too. seems they are more interested in churning out whatever they can instead of worrying about quality or craftsmanship.
ok I got all that out
I just find it mind boggling that they could produce such great stuff like model 12's, 14's and 25's and the later versions but these days what they produce is no where near that quality.

·
Super Moderator
23,569 Posts
I gave up on Remington about six years ago..............they will probably follow the suit of Winchester/Browning and have their manufacturing moved overseas after this latest bankruptcy is all worked out (if they survive). Surviving two bankruptcies within 3-4 years is a tall order.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I haven't kept up with Remington since they first got Marlin, so I'm wayyy late to the table. Do they still have Marlin?
If they do will they spin Marlin off?
I don't know that I care much about Remington, but I do care about Marlin.

·
Premium Member
13,926 Posts
Nothing good at all about a major gun manufacturer being driven to bankruptcy by lawsuits from Sandy Hook victims. If this is allowed to happen, or can happen to a huge corporation like Remington...then who is next? If Bloomberg and the antis find another vulnerability, then no gunmaker will be safe. They'll just sue them out of business. Smaller, newer makers like Palmetto wouldn't stand a chance as they don't have the legal personnel and the capital to wage endless defenses in court. The Navajo Nation buying out Remington seems like an oddball scenario, too. Hell, Mike Bloomberg and George Soros could easily buy Remington and then liquidate all its tangible assets without losing more than a negligible amount of their investment. Nothing good at all from any POV...in my POV.

P.S. What brand of weapons did Paddock use in the Las Vegas shootings? Just think how many people could sue those makers?
Hmmm I dunno 'bout that. Native Americans were pretty good with the lever action rifles when they first came out . Just ask General Custer.............:smokin::ridinghorse:

The dems plans does appear to be "sue them out of business" concerning gun mfg, and gun shops too though.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I haven't kept up with Remington since they first got Marlin, so I'm wayyy late to the table. Do they still have Marlin?
If they do will they spin Marlin off?
I don't know that I care much about Remington, but I do care about Marlin.
That's exactly what this thread got me thinking. If they did sell the Remington Brand, I really wish they would part it out like an old car. I wish someone with some brains and integrity would buy the Marlin brand and restore it to its former glory. I know I'd be willing to chip in, in any way to help them succeed.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hmmm I dunno 'bout that. Native Americans were pretty good with the lever action rifles when they first came out . Just ask General Custer.............:smokin::ridinghorse:
Nah. It's more like that "sicssors, string, paper rock" game. Fast operating, "high capacity" lightweight lever guns always beat archaic single shot breech loaders.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hopefully the Navajo Nation doesn't end up buying Remington, et al, as per this article: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wsj-remington-readies-for-a-second-bankruptcy-filing-possible-sale-to-navajo-nation/

When they approached Remington 2 years ago for a possible buy out, their offer was rejected in part due to:
"[The Navajo Nation] intended to shift the company away from its consumer business, including curtailing the sale of the AR-15-style weapons frequently used in mass shootings, to focus on police and defense contracts.The tribe planned to use profits from those businesses to invest in research and development of advanced “smart guns” — those with fingerprint or other technology intended to prevent anyone but the gun’s owner from using the weapon."

·
Registered
409 Posts
So will the price of used marlins go up ? Look on GB and there is a new csbl at over $1700 with time left, not that long ago they were less than a grand. Are people just crazy or do they think manufacturing of marlins is going to stop.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Looking at the big picture realistically. Since moving production to Ilion in mid-2010, Marlin has been in the tank. Freedom Group Marlin failed to turn out enough units to ever make a profit since then. The re-tooling cost millions, warranty cost more millions, and the Marlin division is just not selling enough rifles to get into the black, they've been operating at a loss for ten years now. You can only survive so long running in the red, dragging down the other parts of the corporation. With the first bankruptcy and re-structuring, the dynamic changed, but the fact remains that Freedom Group/Remington Outdoors screwed the Marlin pooch pretty much permanently. That's what they get for listening to young MBA's that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. North Haven Marlin was running at a profit, they had the Lion's share of the market segment, and were pre-ordered two years ahead to wholesalers. Hotshot young execs couldn't leave well enough alone.

If another bankruptcy, another sale, another iteration of Marlin Firearms comes to pass, I seriously doubt they can make it profitable. Is Marlin dead, in convulsions, eyes rolled back, spitting up blood? I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The thing I find most interesting is that in the original article, the Navajo Nation claims it wants to pursue "smart gun" technology and fund it through Law Enforcement and Military sales. My first thought is: How are you going to make sales to either Law Enforcement or Military with the dismal quality firearms you have been turning out? Neither group will accept the garbage that has been perpetrated upon the general consumer. Second: Aren't many of the Native American nations backing the "defund/dismantle the police departments" in alliance with the BLM group? Not saying the Navajo Nation is one of them, but it does raise a question of clarity in thinking, to my mind anyway.

HiDesertHunter may be on to something there. Could be just another way to scrap a gun manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
25,777 Posts
Smart guns? With finger print technology? What a REVOLTING notion! My LG smart phone has finger print technology to unlock it. Now and then, it won't unlock until I clean the finger touch pad. Not a life or death proposition as it would be on a gun!

All my Marlins are JM's, largely due to no confidence in Remington putting out functioning firearms, or their utter lack of QC, as well as no confidence in Remington's long term business outlook. Not to mention, Remington Outdoors (aka Freedom Group) BoD's making a single sound business decision.

Many folks here on MO claimed that the fate of Marlin was sealed when Remington purchased Marlin. Apparently, they may be proven correct.

Jack

·
Registered
205 Posts
The thing I find most interesting is that in the original article, the Navajo Nation claims it wants to pursue "smart gun" technology and fund it through Law Enforcement and Military sales.
I suspect the 'Navajo Nation' is being used as nothing more than a 'figurehead', or ruse in this and there are some considerably more powerful and diabolical people in the background.

It's simple - play this off with the plan of 'smart gun technology and fund it through Law Enforcement and Military sales', allow it to fail, file bankruptcy, sell off assets, the 'Navajo Nations' take the blame and the real perpetrators disappear never to be heard of. Make sense?

·
Super Moderator
25,777 Posts
HDH, IDK, seems just as easy to sit back and watch Remington utterly self-destruct themselves into the dust bin of history?

Jack

1 - 20 of 67 Posts