Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Remlin has started making 1895 Cowboys?

If they were making them, would you buy one?

Thanks,
-Bob

Reactions: jbaker30

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I have more info, some that I just got...

I found a 1895 Cowboy on the internet at a big box store and it was listed as a "new" item, like they had never carried them before. That led me to think it was a newly produced rifle and not old stock.

I finally reached someone at the store and it is a Remington made 1895 Cowboy. The serial starts with MR and it has the remington proof mark.

I asked about the wood fit and the fella told me it was "ok", not great, but "ok". I also asked about the wood and he said it's pretty plain looking.

So what do you think? Should I take a chance on ordering it?

Thanks,
-Bob

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Never buy a Remlin without handling it in person. Check that, never buy a firearm without hiandling it in person.

Of course that might not always be convenient, depending on where you live. If you have to have it shipped, get an iron clad return policy in writing.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Ok, I have more info, some that I just got...

I found a 1895 Cowboy on the internet at a big box store and it was listed as a "new" item, like they had never carried them before. That led me to think it was a newly produced rifle and not old stock.

I finally reached someone at the store and it is a Remington made 1895 Cowboy. The serial starts with MR and it has the remington proof mark.

I asked about the wood fit and the fella told me it was "ok", not great, but "ok". I also asked about the wood and he said it's pretty plain looking.

So what do you think? Should I take a chance on ordering it?

Thanks,
-Bob
What's the asking price on this mythical rifle?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good deal there but I don't have a $500 gift card with his name on it. Thanks for pointing it out though.

-Bob

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Well, here's the thing, if this rifle is at a Cabelas in another location, could you get it shipped to a local Cabelas? So you could check it out? I'd be very interested in seeing this rifle in person!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I highly recommend you see it before your buy it. I had a chance to compare a Remlin 336 with a Marlin 336, both brand new, on the shelf at Gander Mountain Fort Wayne, Indiana. It was a very enlightening experience. The difference was clear to the naked eye. The Remlin was put to shame on all counts—fit & finish of the wood and the blueing. I could not test the triggers, of course, but the sights seemed to be reasonably close. If I purchased the Marlin, sight unseen, I would have been very pleased with it. If I received the Remlin, sight unseen, I would have been very disappointed.

See it first. Then decide if you want to put money into it.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mazer,

There is no Cabela's near me. The closest is just south of Denver, which is about 500 miles away. Oh, I guess Phoenix is closer at 450 miles :)

I am so close to pulling the trigger on it. If only the people on the phone would be a little more helpful... I'll try again today. I have narrowed down my potential gift card purchase to the Cowboy, a Remington 700 Long Range or a Beretta 92 Compact.

What to do? That is the question :)
-Bob

I suppose if I am disappointed, there's always Gunbroker...

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Ha! Well that would have been too easy! Any chance of a purchase then, with a "3 day" trial or something that would allow you to return it to Cabela's rather then sending to Marlin if it isn't up to snuff? IF so, then go for it if not....then back to where you started! :)

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called around today to find a "nice" one and I found out something that really set me back on my heels...

So both the Marlin site and the Cabela's site shows that the cowboy has a 26 inch, tapered octagon barrel. As I was talking with the fella at the fourth store I called, he was telling me that the rifle he had in his hands "is probably one of the best" he's seen from remlin. Then he mentioned that he just doesn't really think of it as a cowboy because of the barrel. So I asked what did he mean and he said that the barrel is too short to be a cowboy, so I asked how short is it. So he says it 18.5 inches! And I was like, WHAT?

So after I regained my senses, I asked about the markings on the barrel. It had the Illion, NY roll stamp and reads 1895CB 45-70. So I again verify that it is an octagon barrel and then decide I must call Marlin. He says he will try to find out the disconnect between what he has in his hand versus what the website says. I also put the rifle on hold for me.

So I call Marlin and the person I talked to says that she has no knowledge of a short barrel cowboy and says that if I had the serial number, maybe she could help. So I call back the store and I get the serial number and the info off the end of the box which states it is a model 1895 CBA. He also told me that he called their buyer and it looked like only a small quantity was available for them to purchase.

I called Marlin back and talked with another person. I explained the dilemma and gave her the serial, which did not come up in the computer. Then I gave her the order number off the box and it came up with the actual info for the rifle. So I ask why they aren't in the catalog and she said she could check the book and put me on hold. She came back after a few minutes and said that it is a new Cabela's exclusive for 2014!

Oh, after I talked with Marlin the 2nd time, I called one of our fellow M.O. listers and talked it thru with him. I had never talked to him before but it was like we were old friend from the moment he answered my call. What a band of people we have on here! He helped me see thru the confusion and of course I decided I need to buy it :) I called the store back, but the fella had left for the day so I'll have to call back in the morning.

I'll be sure to start a new thread when it arrives, which I am guessing will be a few weeks :(

Thanks to everyone for your input. I really considered all that was mentioned and tried to do the best I could to abide. Like since I couldn't be there, I really asked a lot of questions about the rifle. One fella told me the rifle was too far away and wouldn't look at it for me so they got crossed off the list. I even had a second opinion on the one I am getting :) So thanks again for the good advise.

-Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.