Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's really scary about Remington, is how long they were causing gremlins in the production of Marlin lever guns - years, or even decades before their insidious take-over of the finest gun making company on the face of the earth and throughout history!

Look at Mar-Shield: If you put some of that stuff on a record and play it backwards, you'll hear: "Remington is Satan" and "Marlin is dead" - honest!

Look at the 39A's - there hasn't been a good one built in either ten or twenty years. Perhaps even thirty, depending on who is reporting. Amazing that Remington was able to get their evil paws in there and muss up the world's oldest production rifle.

What about those fat-belly forearms on Marlins for the past twenty years or more? Sure fire evidence of over-feeding by Remington!

Barrel Droop is purely a function of Remington's evil influence. Why, I bought one of the original ported .45/70 Guide Guns ten years ago, and Remington already had that outwardly stout Marlin barrel so far off that I had to shim a scope base just to sight it in! Who would have figured Remington had Marlin's barrel drooping a decade ago. Pure Evil I tell you...

Levers springing open upon firing a big bore Marlin - another Remington flaw, introduced back when Remington, oops, I mean Marlin, introduced the .444 and .45/70 rifles to modern production in the 1960's.

Another .444 problem was that Remington introduced ammo for it, got us all excited about it, then dropped it in favor of some gummy tip stuff, totally ruining the effectiveness of the .444 in the field.

What's with that over-size bore on .44 1894's? I understand it's sized so that it only shoots Remington factory ammo properly!

Back about 1970, I broke the firing pin on Dad's .22 Mountie - it was likely manufactured by Remington and planted in that otherwise perfect rifle!

Not long ago the extractor broke on my 1970's 336, leaving me to pry empties out of the chamber with my pocket knife. More evidence that Remington invaded Marlin, 30+ years ago.

Fortunately I had a Remington knife to use in place of the extractor! Those faulty extractors are merely a long-term plot to sell more Remington pocket knives!

.308 & .338 ME rounds, from Hornady, that don't work right in the rifles for which they're intended. Proof positive that Remington has colluded with others in the industry to destroy Marlin's reputation.

I wonder if Remington had a mole in the old Marlin plant or if they were able to project rays of evil from Ilion NY into the Marlin factory, creating these messes?

Strongly suspect that Remington borrowed a Transporter from Star Trek back in the 1960's, and started beaming Gremlins into the Marlin factory, as far back as 30 or 40 years ago... I can't prove it, but I'm sure someone here can, if they tune their foil hat properly... ;D Everything ever wrong with a Marlin rifle is Remington's fault - and I think we can demonstrate that these problems started long, long ago, not with the recent takeover! It's a long-term evil plot... Truly. Honest. It really is. Every Marlin built before the change in ownership would have been perfect without Remington's evil influence...

Sorry guys... Couldn't help myself... ;D Guy

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think I get your point and yes there were some problems even 30 years ago but they were minor and not more normal than any other manufacturing company. I think it is pretty obvious that there have been a lot more, an abnormal amount, problems in the last 12 months. So far I haven't really heard of any problems with the 39A. Mine was made in 65 and still has the original extractor and ejector and everything else and shoots the wings off of flys so I really don't know much about the newer ones and my 2009 JM ABL is pretty nice and everything we have grown to expect from Marlin but in the last 12 months since Remington has taken over it is obvious that there are some major problems. Maybe it is the gremlins. I don't know but I do know they have been sending some real boogers out lately.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hey Guy, nice post! ;D

Seriously, my GG, circa 2002 has been one of my best rifles I have ever owned. My 39a, bought new in 1974, just keeps on ticking. The only Marlin I have been disappointed in was the 1894, 44 mag, I bought in 2008. Even though I killed 4-5 deer with it [at closer ranges], the gun had some very serious accuracy issues at 80 and longer yardages. I sold it to a fellow, back in Nov. that wanted it way worse than I did. I even told hip about the problems I had. Went out and bout a singleshot 44 mag, with a 1/20 twist barrel, for next deer season.

Mad Dog

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope everyone takes my post with good humor - it was so intended.

It seems about every other time I log on to Marlin Owners, somebody else is complaining about the new Remlin/Marlingtons, and often implying that our much loved Marlins were PERFECT in the past, until ruined by Remington... Far from it...

I had to uncork a little humor to go along with my morning coffee and perusal of Marlin Owners.

Best Regards to all my fellow Marlin Owners, Guy

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
;D ;D ;D ;D

Marlin lever actions, as far as rifles go, are fairly complex - - There are lots of moving parts, each having varying degrees of interaction with other moving parts. As far as rifles go, Marlins have lots of potential for foul-ups, bloopers, bleeps, and blunders; especially compared to the simplicity of a bolt gun. I have been pretty fortunate with mine.

So far, the only problems I have had with any Marlin have been with a 336C manufactured in 2008 or early on in 2009 - need to check on that. The barrel had boogers in the micro-groove rifling and was afflicted with "letting in two" - - this particular rifle is chambered in .35 Remington (another ploy by Remington, as in M700's post, no doubt). The rifle was returned to Marlin, Tomray was involved with it, and actually sectioned the original barrel, the barrel was replaced on Marlins dime, the "letting in two" was corrected, and the rifle was returned to me. Haven't had a lick of trouble with it since, thankfully.

Never did get a follow-up from Tomray on the diagnosis of what they found caused the boogers in the original barrel.

My .444XLR, my 1894, and my 1895CB were all manufactured in 2007 and all have been superb rifles for what they are. Lever actions, in general, are pretty curious things - - a marvel of engineering, a curio of nostalgia, relics of Americana, reminiscent of the romance and heritage of an earlier and simpler time, and all the while being working tools for the field. Hopefully, Remington won't try to take credit for that too... ;) ;D

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
M700 said:

It seems about every other time I log on to Marlin Owners, somebody else is complaining about the new Remlin/Marlingtons, and often implying that our much loved Marlins were PERFECT in the past, until ruined by Remington... Far from it...

I had to uncork a little humor to go along with my morning coffee and perusal of Marlin Owners.

You really had me worried for a second--I was thinking, Didn't he know that Remington's only owned Marlin for three years? Who dropped him on his head when he was a baby? ;D

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Great M700 (that wouldn't be Model 700 would it?) Think I will go out and order a new Remlin first thing sight unseen now that you pointed out that Marlins were all fouled up long before Remmy ever got turned loose in North haven.. NOT!! :eek: :eek: ;)

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
M700 said:
Now Guy is trying to pull a fast one on us. Obviously he let slip his inside knowledge, then thought better of it later. Just look at his screen-name, and he's here at Marlin Owners!

I'm on to you, Mr. Remington-Marlin. I know you're the one behind all these shenanigans.

;D

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
I chuckle about the whole thing. One person reports "barrel droop" and suddenly we have an epidemic. One person can't get LE ammo to group, and suddenly 50 people chime in. One person posts that he had an extraction, and suddenly we have an extraction epidemic.

It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I pay it little mind and realize that we get a concentration of problems on this site, because it's where people come to get answers. Also the internet allows people to grumble on a public forum when it used to be that they only grumbled to their buddies. Go on any of the auto forums and see what kind of grumbling about quality goes on there.

The Remingtons, the Savages, the Rugers, the Mossbergs, and the Marlins I have are all great guns. I don't own any Winchesters because they never appealed to me, so I can't give you an evaluation of them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You are probably right about all ...... well most of it guy . I'm sure most of it goes back to when remington made a deal with the devil . What's that you say ? .... yup I saw it myself , I tried to order some parts from the New York plant about twenty years ago . Got the odred totaled up and they tried to nail me with sales tax and I don't even live in New York . Well , I cancelled the order right away , I don't want no part of their evil seances and spells , and I ain't gonna support them while they do !!

I don't know about that transporter thing though ............. ::)

Jack

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one to notice the HUGE increase in complaints and as you mention Guy, 1 jumps and suddenly they all jump. I will attest to 2 whole problems that I've had with Marlins bluing coming off the mag tube on my new at the time 336W and the lever popping open on the 1994 .444 due to the plunger not being ground correctly...Marlin took care of the bluing, I took care of the plunger. Marlin did have some problems, but most were small things that us (we are tinkerers) could take care off. Oh well I'm just rambling so enough of that. Remington isn't always the blame but they do deserve a good dose of it lately, I sincerely hope they get Marlins back up to par......it's going to take some time though. BTW notice I stated 1994 .444 way before Remington influence. Mr fixit

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
M700 said:

Good humor...and a good point made! :)

Not to be the one to say "I told you so" (I didn't tell you Guy, but I did mention it to a few others)...I said it several months back (about a year ago), that there would be an "outbreak" of complaining on here, that if not carefully managed would consume the Marlin name or, at the very least, this fine forum we all love.

I like to complain too...when something goes wrong, but right after I'm done complaining...I get to fixing it (or getting it fixed)

What I'd like to know is this...what happened to the Remington rifles? They used to be such fine firearms, I have quite a few of them...and NEVER saw a bad one until a couple of years ago (Remington SPS Tactical), since then...I can't seem to find a good one...I did get lucky when I bought my sons model 7 SS in 308, it is the only one I've bought in a long time that was as it should be...whats up with that?

Heck, I bought a Glock...and even had to send it to be repaired...talk about bad luck!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Personally I would have felt a whole lot better,, if they had waited just one more year, 2012,, cause that's when many are say'n the World's gonna End,, according to the Mayan's.

Joe :'(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ridgerunner665 said:
Good humor...and a good point made! :)

Not to be the one to say "I told you so" (I didn't tell you Guy, but I did mention it to a few others)...I said it several months back (about a year ago), that there would be an "outbreak" of complaining on here, that if not carefully managed would consume the Marlin name or, at the very least, this fine forum we all love.

I like to complain too...when something goes wrong, but right after I'm done complaining...I get to fixing it (or getting it fixed)

What I'd like to know is this...what happened to the Remington rifles? They used to be such fine firearms, I have quite a few of them...and NEVER saw a bad one until a couple of years ago (Remington SPS Tactical), since then...I can't seem to find a good one...I did get lucky when I bought my sons model 7 SS in 308, it is the only one I've bought in a long time that was as it should be...whats up with that?
We tend to forget Whats being done to Marlin has already been done to Remington, Same big corp owns both. My model 7 was one of the best shooting rifles I ever owned. Should have never traded it.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
No biggie, just looks like you started typing inside the quote. I fixed it for you.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm hoping maybe they are just getting all of their tooling and equipment set up 'correctly'.
I'm sure there were Marlin employees that may have had a particular way of doing a particular task during the production process that they (from years of experience) knew just simply worked better and that way was not the 'standard' way.

Every Remington I have ever owned has been a great shooting rifle. Having said that, every Remington I have owned has been a 700 BDL made late 90's or older.

I have confidence they will get it right. I just hope it is sooner than later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts