Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone owned one of these ? I was looking at one at cabelas today and it says it will shoot s, l, and lr.
How well do these shoot all 3 styles ? And what do you think the value would be? A few light marks on the wood but other than that it looks to be in really good shape. Cabelas price is $389.00
It's hard to imagine a semi auto cycling good with shorts but I've never owned or known anybody who's owned one of these or any other semi auto that would shoot a short.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have owned and shot one for close to 40 years. It'll eat anything in any order you want to feed it, at least mine will. Takes a little cleaning every 10 years or so but IMHO it is the best 22 to be had. Course I'm just a tad biased since this and it's older sister the 550-1 are the only ones I've ever had. After getting this one and finding the 550-1 in a pawn shop, I never thought I would find anything better. The old 550-1s seem to be a tad more accurate but there's not much difference.

But like I said, I might be a little biased......

Prices are outrageous for a 22, but they are very good!

Mop

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
I've got a 550-1 also and it will shoot anything you feed it , don't know about $389 though I gave $175 for my 550.But you're the only one that
knows if it's worth that much.If you want it buy it and have some fun...

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I have a model 552 BDL Speedmaster. I bought it because the bolt handle is on the left and it has a hood over the ejection port making it good for southpaws which my son is. Shortly after I had it a spring in the trigger mechanism broke. I called Remington and they sent me some extra replacement parts free of charge. It's okay as a shooter but it's not the most accurate .22lr I own. Mine seems to get better accuracy with the Remington Golden Bullets than Federal which I shoot a lot. I have never tried it with shorts as they are no longer commonly found and were more expensive. :flute:

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
It's hard to imagine a semi auto cycling good with shorts but I've never owned or known anybody who's owned one of these or any other semi auto that would shoot a short.
As already stated, the predecessor of the Model 552 is the Model 550/550-1, and the technology used dates all the way back to 1941 when that rifle was introduced. The Model 550 has a "floating chamber", designed by David Williams of M1 Carbine fame, that allows semi auto function with a wide variety of rimfire power levels. Colt used the same floating chamber in the 1911-based Ace to provide enough recoil energy from the .22 LR to actuate it's full steel slide.

I have two of the Model 550-1's and both feed and function just fine with the full range of rimfire ammo. The scoped example here will even function with the CCI quiets when kept clean.

Roe

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mop:long time owners are always a good sign. And nothing wrong with being a little biased. Thanks.

Redlegagent: that's what grabbed my eye was the bolt being on the "wrong" side. Lol. I have a couple of lefties and most semi autos ain't lefty friendly as you know.

Barenjager: those are some fine looking rifles you got. Beautiful wood on the first pic.

1022: I thought it was a tad high. But considering a 10/22 used to cost $145.00 at Kmart but now closer to $300.00 at other stores. The marlin 60 used to cost $90.00 at Walmart but now closer to $200.00 , the $350.00-400.00 range didnt seem too bad for a nice older rifle that will cycle anything and still has a nice finish. How long ago did you buy yours ? $175.00 is a very good price. I would've bought it if it would've been that cheap. The near $400.00 price tag skeered me away. (at least for now)

Thanks for the responses. I'm really impressed that this will cycle most types of .22. I'm gonna think about it, maybe go back by there and see what their lowest price is or check out some auction sites. I think I need one of these now. Lol

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I also have one of the 552 Speedmasters, and yes it will Cycle all types just fine ( and in any order ) I used to use it for my frogging rifle, back years ago when you could get short HP ammunition. It wasn't near as loud as a Long Rifle ( especially in the middle of the night ) and for the close range of frogs, it was perfect.
Mine shoots CCI Mini Mags the best , but does pretty good with most other brands. Even GB shoot fine.
I bought mine new in 78. Not sure about the brand new ones
BoB

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
I have never owned one, but always wanted too

everyone I know that has one, likes them very well and won't part with it (Lord knows I have made a few offers, some more $$ than I should have, thanks to Crown Royal or Budweiser)

Reactions: kybob

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I have never owned one, but always wanted too

everyone I know that has one, likes them very well and won't part with it (Lord knows I have made a few offers, some more $$ than I should have, thanks to Crown Royal or Budweiser)
I wouldn't price mine, not because I think it's worth more than anyone else's, but that would then have me looking for another one. Pretty slick little rifles. My 97 Cowboy is my favorite, with the SpeedMaster 2nd.
Around here even rough ones are bringing GB prices
BoB

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Love my "Speedmaster"and have for over fourty years.I am right handed and removed the little hull deflector because I thought it was contributing to powder residue buildup in the trigger/hammer mechanism.Easy to clean,just push out a couple pins.

Probably the second most accurate .22 simi-auto I'v ever owned.And I'v owned a truck load.

$400.00 would not buy mine.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I have a 552 BDL. I paid $40 for mine at a yard sale... It's forearm has a repaired crack (been meaning to replace it for 10yr now :flute:) but it functions great and shoots even better!
I also took off the little deflector shield, looks ugly and its a fix fo a problem that doesn't exist!

Getcha one, you won't be disappointed....

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So your saying a lefty wouldn't need the deflector ?
I won't have time to get back to cabelas until Sunday. (hopefully they'll still have it). The prices I've seen on auction sites have it priced about what the others are selling for. $350.00-400.00 range.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Roe, once again your post amazes me! Not only your knowledge but your artistic presentation! Do you curate a secret firearm museum I've never heard of ? Is there going to be a book? ;)

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
BUY that puppy!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Roe, once again your post amazes me! Not only your knowledge but your artistic presentation! Do you curate a secret firearm museum I've never heard of ? Is there going to be a book? ;)
You're not alone! Roe always has Great pics of some Absolutely Stunning Firearms!!! Stunning I say! :)
I hope someday to take a road trip :driver: to MichiGun to see him and his "Cool"ection! ..:congrats: .. :driver: ..:marchmellow:

Maybe Someday....:tee:
BloodGroove4570

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.