Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
I think I know why the quality of their guns has been questionable for some time. The machine operators are doing double duty as video web producers as well. AC

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
This little pistol intrigues me. Always been a fan of the makarov :flute: first pistol remingtons done in, what, half a century? Ill give it a minute for some hands on reviews to roll out.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
One of my LGS was so unimpressed with it at SHOT that he isn't going to
carry it in his store.
It is something I am interested in once they get the bugs worked out.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
first pistol remingtons done in, what, half a century?
Have you aready forgot about their 1911 R1.

They screwed that one up in the beginning too...a 1911 no less...a platform that even third world countries seem to be able to produce well today.

I suppose I've never had a problem with Remington's design engineers. However, the execution of those designs leave a lot to be desired. Looks like this pistol is no different.

Roe

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Obviously Remington's machine operators are tired from making quality leverguns. :ahhhhh:

Hope they get it worked out…I really like the pistol design.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Remington is probably the last place I'd look for a pistol. Too many other company's out there that make quality pistols similar to the R51. Remington should focus on getting their Marlin line back on track and not worry about making sub-standard pistols!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shot one Friday. It was stiff to rack the slide but shot great and after break in might get easier. Didn't have any problems with the sights like the video. Compared it with a Ruger SR9C , which they were about the size. The remington had less muzzle flip and was easier to get back on target. They will probably have some wrinkles to iron out. But at $369 if they get everything dialed in, I think they will sell a bunch for a non polymer pistol.

·
Registered
956 Posts
How stiff was it compared to a normal semi auto design? Being easier to work the slide has been one of their selling points if I remember correct. Something about the design didn't need as stiff of recoil spring so it was easier for weaker handed people. This really makes no difference to me but it would to my wife.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Well that's disappointing to see... not that I wanted one or anything.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
The original 51 was designed by Pederson, of the 'The Pederson Device' fame. He is one of the greats in my opinion, designing the 121, 141, pump guns. The original 51 featured a very slim slide and a novel breach block locking block. The mechanism unlocked by allowing the slide to recoil back a few thousandths of an inch where it unlocks the block and cycles the action. Remington submitted a like designed pistol in 45 acp to the semi auto trials, which lost out to Browning's design. I had, and regret letting it slip away, a mint Remington M51 in 380acp. As I recall there was a similar 'bump' or 'snag' while manually racking the slide on an empty chamber. It may well smooth out more during break in. I believe the design warrants serious consideration - IF, Remlin can get their act together. AC

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
All new autopistols have teething problems, all new guns are tight, and Remington is already well-known for putting out guns that should never have left the factory. No surprises here, but given a year or two, they might get this one right.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How stiff was it compared to a normal semi auto design? Being easier to work the slide has been one of their selling points if I remember correct. Something about the design didn't need as stiff of recoil spring so it was easier for weaker handed people. This really makes no difference to me but it would to my wife.
I was quite stiff. But it wasn't from the spring. As you draw back the slide you could feel the mechanism tilting and doing what it was suppose to do. That is why I think with more use those bumps in internal transitions will smooth out.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have a buddy that works at a gunshop. He already has one of these preordered so I will probably get to play with one sometime. Might even get to shoot it lol. Not that I'm going to buy one but the pistol has made me curious haha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts