Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen a couple of Remington 30-06 pump action in the pawn shop today, both Model 760. One looks like this one: http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/centerfire/model_7600.asp
the othe is a plain jane type with what looks to be a standard pump forearm you would find on any working type Remington shotgun. Serial number on the first one is B7014923 and the second is 161679, both listed at aroung $250.00-$275.00. You fellas know anything bout these?? I know they're not Marlins, once removed now family members perhaps....Please don't beat me up too much!! ;) ;D Mr fixit

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
mr fixit,

I have my dad's late 1950's Rem 760 in 300 Sav. It is a very good gun. The newer one you posted a link to has a free floated barrel. The early ones like mine had a piece of metal that put pressure on the barrel. I'd get the newer one becasue they are more accurate. But I must say from what I have heard they they either shoot great, almost with a bolt gun, or they shoot OK. Meaning about 1 1/2" to almost 2" groups at 100 yards.

Reloading make almost all of thm shoot very good.

John

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Mrfixit,

I have one of the Rem 760's in 270win. I have taken a good many deer with it. It is light, very well balanced. Points very
naturally. The slide action is very smooth and very easy to operate. The 7600 that you are looking at is a better rifle than
the on I have. I would jump on it in a New York Second. Don't miss the chance to get one of those for that price. Back in
1974 when I bought mine I paid $180 NIB. The 7600, which you can still buy is in the 500 + range I think. They come with
a 22" barrel and did at one time come with an 18" carbine model.

I'm jealous

SS

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SS, the link with the pic (7600) is what the one looks like, it's not a 7600 but a 760, still a nice looking rifle with the high comb and cheek weld, both are in good shape, although I don't know about the mechanics. According to this link: http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/centerfire/model_760.asp
the second rifle dates between 1951-1967, the first one with the B7 in front dates from1978-1981
Do I need another rifle? OF course not, but WHY NOT!! ;D Mr fixit

·
Registered
224 Posts
Favorite rifle I own. This one has took many deer, and been beat around lots, but it still shoots good. This is a early one chambered for .257roberts from the early fifties I think. Great shooter, and handles excelent.

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
I had a 35 Whelen for a while, even got a deer with it. Seemed to shoot pretty well as I remember. But I never got used to using a pump ,so I sold it.

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
I have one chambered for the 300 Savage. It's definitely one of the most accurate rifles I have, but it's also the most awkward to operate. It just feels so unnatural to do anything with my left hand while shooting. I just never had any exposure to the pump action since my only shotgun is a semi-auto. I keep it because I do like the cartridge. Here's a pic for the loonys out there.

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jayhawker, that's what the older one looks like, I don't know if I really want to fork over $$ for it, especially since I did pose a question or two about the Camp 9 & 45. ;) Well see come next week, might even be able to low ball him a bit!. Mr fixit

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Mrfixit,

You better not let that 257 Roberts get away from you, at least around here it would be difficult to find another one in that
caliber. Just about all 30-06 around here, mine is a rare 270 win. in this neck of the woods. I carried mine so many miles,
much of the blueing is worn where I carry it.

SS

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
these two that I'm looking at are 30-06, Udy450m has the .257 Roberts. I just hate this urge to get another rifle, doggone things get expensive sometimes! I've really been thinking about a camp 9 or 45 for the home 20 just in case SHTF over the next few months with a bigger clip than a 7 round. Wife had an a-hole for a husband that threatened her with a .44 mag, so pistols are a definite no-no, glad she's allowed me to get the rifles I have. I'd like to stay with in reason on the lines of a semi-auto,I wouldn't feel comfortable with the bad a** "black assult" rifle.....just yet, at least the camps would look more suitable for hunting. Mr fixit

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I have dad's 760 in 30-06 manufactured in the early 50's and a 7600 in 36 Whelen I bought in the 80's. With the whelen, just shoot and the recoil opens the action and ejects the case-- then just push forward. I don't know about the 30-06, I have never fired it --and I think dad only shot about a box of shells through it. He liked to use his marlin 35 Remington most.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Suggestion,

I know its not a Marlin, but what about the Ruger 44mag on the Mini 30 platform. Could have some of the larger clips for defense
and some of the small clips for hunting. Been wanting one of these myself, just haven't done it yet, a couple of Marlin 45-70's
butted in :D.

It would make one sweet short range rifle. Nothing against the camp 45.

SS

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Woah :eek: I just looked on the Ruger site and that rifle is not available anymore, what a shock. Looks like you'll need to beat
the bushes if you wanted one of those.

I didn't know

SS

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As quoted from a thread I had started here:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,34426.0.html
Camp 45's use regular 1911 magazines and there's a company that now makes 50rd drums. Very reliable, I might add.
Wolf ammo ain't that expensive.

There's nothing like seeing a string of .45 ACP hammer a brick wall while you're chasing... whatever.

I, of course, have a Camp 45. ;D ;D Mr fixit

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just acquired my father's 760 chambered in '06. Mid 60's vintage. Great looks and handles very nice. My father has taken many deer with it. But I am not going to be taking it to the woods this year. I will be toting my new 336 in 35 Rem instead.

IF, I did not have a '06 yet and those 2 '06 were available, I would jump on one of those.

Just my .02

Also, if I ever came across a 760 .257 Roberts, I'm all over it.

Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts