Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a nylon 66, it looks to be in good shape, asking price is $150. Any info or comments would be appreciated. Don't really need it...but you know how it is when you see a gun like that. Already have a 39a,70hc,savage MkII (LH), cz trainer, browning pump, and a 96/22 mag and single six w/ changable cylinders. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Well, it seems a trifle high, but since I began my gun addiction in the 70's, I suffer from sticker shock occasionally. Heck, I was in Cabelas in Sidney recently and saw a Jap type 99 milsurp for 475.00!! :shock: Dang! It don't seem like that long ago, 75 bucks would get you any Jap milsurp you wanted... Maybe I'm getting old. Nah! That ain't it - I'm just cheap!

If you really like the 66, go for it! SW

·
Registered
126 Posts
That probably is a high-end price but if the rifle is in good shape I would consider it. The Nylon 66 I had was a real shooter; wish I still had it... 8)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Those things keep getting higher every day. I have owned a few of them over the years and still have one. I personally don't like them just because of the nylon stock, but they are a great rifle. They're pretty much goof proof, utterly reliable and accurate. I used one when I would hunt squirrels while floating in a rubber boat down the river. I have dropped it in the river and in the mud, it never stopped working. If you like it, I would get it. They won't be getting any cheaper. The top tang safety is friendly to us lefties.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I think I'll try and get him to come down on the price.

Sarge, I'm happy to hear the safety works for lefties, that the hardest thing to use on most guns.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I paid triple that for my first Nylon 66..
And was THRILLED to get it at that price.
Heck ? I've bought another one since then.
And looking to buy another !!

They are FANTASTIC AND ACCURATE little rifles.
YZ

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yep, 150.00 for a decent 66 is a steal at the price. Had one when I was a youngster, waited too long to try to replace it and I would not pay the 400.00 + asking prices for one though.

I bought a Remington Nylon Model 10 single shot Bolt action once at a Garbage sale for 100.00. Guy offered me 700.00 for it and I handed it over really quick. I knew they were rare as to this day it was the only one I have ever seen though. That was over ten years ago. Maybe I sold it too cheap.

They have come down slightly in the last couple years . But If you do not take it for 150.00 if decent, I will,LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
Well, it seems a trifle high, but since I began my gun addiction in the 70's, I suffer from sticker shock occasionally. Heck, I was in Cabelas in Sidney recently and saw a Jap type 99 milsurp for 475.00!! :shock: Dang! It don't seem like that long ago, 75 bucks would get you any Jap milsurp you wanted... Maybe I'm getting old. Nah! That ain't it - I'm just cheap!

If you really like the 66, go for it! SW
I get sticker shock too as I started shooting in the mid 70's. I still remember when you could buy a new Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 for just 200 bucks. I remember buying a Win 94 from the military base store for 145 bucks brand new. You could get a COlt Woodsman 22 LR pistol for 75 bucks. A carton of Cigs was just 6 bucks on base.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Heck the 66 I have always wanted to replace from my youth was free from a guy. Cannot beat that price, even for the 70s huh,LOL

Point is they were just a lowly .22 found by the dozens. Now they have somehow magically morphed into high dollar, rare collector items. Crazy

Just about bought one a couple weeks back at the local show. But what was strange was it had the plated barrel and reciver, but had a Mohawk Brown stock. Could have beeen a Apache action that was removed from the Black stock. Regardless I should not have left it there for the 200.00 asking price. But I am cheap and offered 175.00. He would not budge.

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
They are great little 22 semis that have become cult-like in their following. Asking price of $150 is fantastic. I would have offered $125, but would have happily took it for $150.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts