Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Remington Model 721 rifle

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Drm50 
#1 ·
About a year ago I acquired a Remington model 721 rifle. It is the grandfather of the model 700 and has a number of similarities with the 700. The 721 ended production in 1963 with the 700 becoming the flagship rifle of Remington. In my research of the 721 I frequently find reference to the 721 being a stronger action than the 700 and I frequently find reference to the 721 being preferred for the basis of custom builds. Can anyone tell me first hand comparisons of the two models? I own a 700 SS rifle in 30-06 that is extremely accurate and durable. The 721 I acquired is also a 30-06 and as I noted it has many similarities. Due to ranges being shut down due to covid I have not been able to fire the 721. Hopefully there are some of you out there who have fired both and can give me your opinions. Thanks in advance.

#7 · (Edited)
The striker housing was lengthened to more cover the striker and the floor plate was updated to an aluminum affair (QD on the BDL-Fixed on the ADL). The stock's dimensions were modernized with less drop at the heel and the hard Remington "Bowling Ball" finish was adopted. The rear sight was updated to a more adjustable design too as I recall. For quite a while, Remington also insisted on using the fake pressed in checkering on the early 700s for several years.

I've used both the 721 and the 700 rifles extensively as well two 40X match rifles and the military Model 700 variants: the M24 SWC (7.62 NATO) and the Mk 13 SWC (300 Magnum) in the Army. I actually wore the surface hardening away on the bolt handle's primary extraction cam on a 721 that I built up as a National Match rifle. Too many rounds during the rapid fire stages I guess.

All in all, I find the long action 721 and the short action 722 more attractive rifles in their work-a-day guise than the later 700s.

#9 ·
Two 721's were my primary go to rifles when I lived out west and guided a lot of folks for prairie goats, mulies, and elk. The 270 was never a tack driver, but with a magazine long enough to take the 300 H&H, and a factory throat that was LONG, I was able to seat bullets way out and managed to come close to 270 Weatherby velocity. It was a good rifle, and eventually replaced with an FN sporter in 270.
The '06 however is incredibly accurate, sub 1/2" out beyond 500 yards.
The biggest differences I've found over it's offspring the 700, besides the floorplate, is the lack of a bolt guide, which makes the action get "stickier" faster than a gummed up 700. With a good stash of factory 721 "06 size extractors, I'm in good shape to keep it, and it's little brother .300 Savage 722 going for a long time.
They might be plain jane looking, but they are great using rifles. I can't see why they would be stronger than the 700, as the basic action and bolt is similar.

#10 · (Edited)
721 was actually one of the original Vietnam War sniper rifles. Private purchase by servicemen from PX's in places like Okinawa, etc. They performed well. I have been thinking about buying one to recreate just such a rifle.

#13 ·
I sold my 721 last year. It was a 30/06 too. I bought the rifle from a guy that bought it new when he was stationed in Washington State in the Military. Rifle was like new and had Lyman receiver sight.
I paid $50 for it in late 70s. I liked the rifle better than 700s. I don’t think the action or barrel was any better than 700s. The stock is similar to a pre 64 m70 Win, they fit everybody. Normally I don’t keep Remingtons but the 721 became my truck gun. I shot a lot of critters with that rifle. A farmer where I hunted a good bit herd I was selling collection and bought the 721 for his grandson.
I didn’t have any extractor trouble with mine. If I did my smith would have put a SaKo extractor in.
I only have one Rem BA rifle left, a 722 in 222, a family heirloom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.