Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just received a flash confirming the move to Alabama. I'll bet after the move, quality of all products under the Remington umbrella will see great improvements. The folks in New York who knew a move was likely since the acquisition of Marlin were
not likely to be focussed on absolute quality.
To everyone in Alabama, Good luck on returning Remlins to old time quality.... We're confident you folks will give it your best!!
Paul

Reactions: galaxieman

·
Administrator
28,338 Posts
I've spoken to Marlin requesting the facts on their move to Alabama. The only part moving at this point is their R&D department. Which, doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have R&D separate from MFG.

All production firearms will not being moving and will remain in NY. For now. I suspect not forever though.

Jack

Reactions: Plumber and CWT

·
Registered
325 Posts
Maybe they'll at least research the old JMs while they're there an make some improvements!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If R&D is going to Alabama.. I think mfg will follow in the near future.. my 2cents :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
9,580 Posts
I've spoken to Marlin requesting the facts on their move to Alabama. The only part moving at this point is their R&D department. Which, doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have R&D separate from MFG.

All production firearms will not being moving and will remain in NY. For now. I suspect not forever though.

Jack
I agree that R&D should be in walking distance of production so immediate results and modifications and collaboration can occur between Engineering and Production. What looks good on paper does not always translate to easy production machining where metallurgy of materials and tolerances dictate the technique required to manufacture the item. It is not that easy to have both high quality and speed without some kind of compromise.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
990 Posts
There is no place to go but up. Today 4/26/14, I was in a local gun shop and seen a 336XLR 30-30 cal in stainless and laminate sitting there. I picked it up looked it over, cycled pretty smooth, insides look fairly clean, the fit and finish was not really any better or worse than many JM marlins I have looked at. That part was OK. Then I shoulder the rifle and looked through the sights at one of the overhead ceiling lights. Hmmmmm, tried that again, Hmmmmm.......... couldn't quite find the front the sight in my sight picture. To say I was not surprised is an understatement. The front sight was off "counter clockwise" or to left at least 1/8 to 1/4" by my guesstimation. When I held the rifle down and just looked kinda over the top at the alignment of receiver scope hole (screw tops) to the buckhorn rear sights to the front sights it looks like the receiver and rear sights were in pretty good alignment, but that front sight was really off badly.
They were only asking around $750 or something like that. I have no idea if this a recent production MR rifle or one of the early ones, serial started with MR and was advertised as a NIB model.
As a Marlin owner and fan, I am in favor of them moving, selling out, closing up shop or whatever, anything that will improve quality.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My news said over 2000 jobs .... T hat would be one he!! of an R&D dept. for a product like
Remington.
I'm confident that enough the quality focus of the new south will extend to Remington..... A LOT of major manufacturing has relocated to Alabama and Georgia.....

·
Administrator
28,338 Posts
I agree that R&D should be in walking distance of production so immediate results and modifications and collaboration can occur between Engineering and Production. What looks good on paper does not always translate to easy production machining where metallurgy of materials and tolerances dictate the technique required to manufacture the item. It is not that easy to have both high quality and speed without some kind of compromise.
Yeah, I've been in manufacturing, owning three companies, for 40 years. It makes about as much sense as when Remington moved to Illion they separated the lever production and wood stocks by some 100 miles. And we wonder why their furniture doesn't have the fit and finish as JM Marlins? :flute:

My news said over 2000 jobs .... T hat would be one he!! of an R&D dept. for a product like
Remington.
I'm confident that enough the quality focus of the new south will extend to Remington..... A LOT of major manufacturing has relocated to Alabama and Georgia.....
Don't miss understand my comment as being the gospel truth, this is what Marlin/Remington is saying. They were adamant that none of the firearm production was moving, only R&D. Speculating, could it be that all of the firearm companies R&D, under Freedom Group, will be housed under one roof in Alabama... explaining the need for 2000 employees? Even then I think something isn't quite right with their story.

Certainly, with Remington messing up Marlin would the management be willing to let it know they are going to start over in Alabama? I think not but time will bear out what the truth will end up being.

Honestly, the board members of Freedom Group need to stop calling the shots and let someone with some experience and common sense make the decisions for a change. I believe their products would greatly improve.

Jack

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I just received a flash confirming the move to Alabama. I'll bet after the move, quality of all products under the Remington umbrella will see great improvements. The folks in New York who knew a move was likely since the acquisition of Marlin were
not likely to be focussed on absolute quality.
To everyone in Alabama, Good luck on returning Remlins to old time quality.... We're confident you folks will give it your best!!
Paul
I wish they would hire back the employees they screwed over last time. Then I know the quality would improve.....

It doesn't matter anyway. They are still gonna be Remingtons, not Marlins.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I hope they move all of it down there. I hate to see good people lose their jobs but, I hate to see an American Legend being degraded to the point I'm simply afraid to buy it. Besides, in my opinion, there should not be a firearms manufacturer in any liberal state. It is a definite conflict of interests. Conflict of interests to firearms manufacturers drive our costs up, degrade our products, and limits productivity. God Bless

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I hope they move all of it down there. I hate to see good people lose their jobs but, I hate to see an American Legend being degraded to the point I'm simply afraid to buy it. Besides, in my opinion, there should not be a firearms manufacturer in any liberal state. It is a definite conflict of interests. Conflict of interests to firearms manufacturers drive our costs up, degrade our products, and limits productivity. God Bless
Bought three Remlin kit guns.
Made for great winter projects fixing them up.
They're great shooters & hunters now.
All I need is a good receiver & barrel & I can fix the rest.
I don't think the parents of the 5 year old kid that was fitting and finishing the Remlin stocks with a hatchet at the Ilion factory will let him move out of state to the new factory.

·
Banned
556 Posts
How many Marlins does one really need/want. There are enough "JM's" around for everyone. I even have a "W" that is better than any Remlin I've seen and I'm keeping it because I don't even think its worth my time selling. :biggrin:

·
Registered
672 Posts
It absolutely blows my mind and I at 52 have been around long enough to see some things. Being in aviation for almost thirty years it has crept into this world as well. Lean Six Sigma, the five points of the star, etc. All these wonderful little catch phrases that make some stuffed shirts and skirts sitting around a table feel good about their unknowing, out of touch college pin heads feel better. My wife in the electronics field experiences the same. No matter how hard they want us to be machines it will never happen, your operation takes X to produce X in X amount of time and we can count on X. Sorry, some days we make smoke, some days we make fire. Many things in manufacturing a unit beyond a single piece requires talent, feel and a gift of artistry to produce tick tocks. Lets see, we can manufacture X in one year at X margin. Uh-Oh, for a year we have pushed absolute crap out the door. Warranty repair, parts/unit replacement, consumers with keyboards, NOW FORECAST PROFIT PROJECTIONS PINHEADS! No offense to most the higher educated, but I have seen a few things papered that pee on the floor when the thunder claps.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Article in "American Rifleman" said the new facility in Huntsville Alabama would be 500,000 Sq. Ft.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well living in NY and seeing the changes that have been going on here for years, it sure looks like they wanted too expand, but any firearm company would be a fool to expand in NY. They have government on one hand begging them to stay...and the other trying to push them out. So... they expand to another state, and keep status quo here in NY. Im sure that the "R&D department" Will in fact be the new location over time. The NY plant will slowly die away thanks to the NYS government.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Do not expect miracles. The guns may get properly assembled, but the dull unpolished finish is a corporate philosophy. They know how. An example it's the CDL line of 700 rifles. The price though, is twice what an ugly 700 goes for. No need to expect more of the 336 et al line.

Reactions: IMR

·
Registered
969 Posts
Manufacturing in NY requires a Union. Not so in Alabama. Sale price - Costs = Profit. Without profit, every company goes BK and out of business. Gotta get the labor cost down. That is the single biggest cost item of any production process. This move is being done in stages. It's more manageable that way.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Blackberry:

Yep, Labor coss are the biggest expense of ANY business.

From what I know of New York State, they make PA look frugal in terms of Taxes. Pennsylvanians always called PA "The Land of Taxes". Prices have always been higher in NY State any time I visited there or tried to buy anything there. What a shame. As an Outdoor perosn, NY State has always impressed me with its natural beauty, and New Yorkers LOVE OF GREAT FOOD!!

One of the few good things about NYC is the great restaurants you can find in the city. Too bad I can no longer afford to $visit$.

The recent shift in the Political climate in NYC has ruined one of the most interesting states in the North East US.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Even though this area is deep in firearm manufacturing history, I'm thinking that Alabama would be an excellent place to build Levers. I think the Ala. workers would be more appreciative of a Lever (or bolt) rifle than NY, NJ & Penna. laborers, where "the higher tech the better", AR-AK guns are the standard. And it will show in their work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts