Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Handled a 336 in 30-30 at Wal-Mart today. Finish was real dull-wood looked almost fake. Serial number is on left side of receiver and begins with RM. No buggered screws though. Price was 374.00 It was really sad to see a once proud and noble line of firearms sink so low. I am so glad that I have 15 or so old nice(some NIB) Marlins. I am sure they are much better than money in the bank. RIP Marlin

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I am hoping that Marlin gets it's act together and starts putting out some better quality guns.

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
We do not have birch wood on our Marlins but I see nothing wrong with them. I have seen some nice birch made Marlins in the past at various gun stores including one at Walmart once.

I do not buy guns at Walmart and IF I ever saw one that I really, really liked there - I might just buy it. I buy from a local dealer and from local stores here in town - same as I did back east = locally owned stores.

I have had some nice things made out of birch in the past too. I tend to use other woods like maple, walnut, cherry, pine, etc. but there is nothing wrong with using birch in my not so humble opinion.

Catherine

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have a birch wood gun (a real JM) bought in '05 that I got from Dicks...it actually had a little grain and was a stand out as far as birch goes....the real beauty is the way it shoots...action smooth as butter..great trigger and its thee most accurate 30WCF I have ever owned...it even out groups my old 788 Remmy,...another case of beauty being more than skin deep..just like the plain girl you dated in high school that you found to be very talented in other areas and always left you with a mile wide smile that lasted a week ;) ;D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I love the birch stocks on my 30TK. I had a 2008 336A from Dick's that had pretty OK wood, but I didn't care at all for the stain. I've seen some of the new Remlin birch 336's, and I think the wood is way uglier than the stocks on my 7 year old's little lever action bb gun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wood not care so much about the wood grain and finish - are they yet putting out guns that shoot straight and cycle properly ???

I want another lever gun to carry in a saddle scabbard and it's going to get all scuffed up anyway after a couple rides.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
tallpine said:
I wood not care so much about the wood grain and finish - are they yet putting out guns that shoot straight and cycle properly ???

I want another lever gun to carry in a saddle scabbard and it's going to get all scuffed up anyway after a couple rides.
For a scabbard gun, I'd go with stainless, and synthetic. You won't see the scuff marks, and if you do, you won't care.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts