Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I would post a pic of my new 1895 G. I know that Remington has had some serious quality control issues but there are some good rifles out there. I looked at a bunch of them before I found this one.

The stock finish is more of a satin instead of the gloss that the older ones were and the bluing isn't quite as shiny but it is even and a good deep blue; overall the rifle is well finished. There are no issues with crooked sights, buggered screws, or other issues that I had heard about. The stock has a nice grain and the wood to metal fit is pretty good. Checkering is lighter than on my 444P but is even. The action cycles well, feeds and ejects as it should. I don't know what the trigger pull is but it is not too heavy and is clean.

From the bench, shooting .405gr LFN, I knocked down 8 out of 10 steel pigs at 100 yards. That was with iron sights before I scoped it. I haven't had the time to try it with the vintage steel tube K2.5 Weaver that I mounted on it yet.

with the scope

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Happy to hear this and glad you got a good one.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Ditto Damien, hope you are one of the lucky one's too. It is a good lookin rifle in the pics, and you can't complain about 8 of ten with a new rifle. Congrats!

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Nice lookin' git up y'a got there!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Its good to see a good one. I Dont think we have Remington haters here. Its more of a true marlin rifle had a reputation of a good rifle. Then Remington took over. Remington has made a good gun for many years. The marlins that started showing up after the change were no less than a embarrassment. Hope they get them right. For both are a ledgin

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
great job you will love this rifle........and when you ring your first gong at 200 yds it is going to be hard to get the grin off the face....................boooooooom.......................................................ding

·
Registered
477 Posts
Was at Gander Mountain today and looked at a Marlin Guide Gun blued in 45-70 and it was flawless.Sights not canted,wood to metal fit good,and grain in the wood was beautiful!So it looks like Remington is starting to get the Marlin brand on track which is a good thing for all! Vaslugger

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I went to dicks to pick up a few things and they had 3 1895 up on the shelf and 1 was in bad shape but found out it was the oldest on the shelf. The other 2 they just got in and was pretty darn good in the way they was made. So maybe Remington is finally getting them right and like plumbernator mention I for 1 aint a Remington hater just hate the way they build the marlin after they got it that is all.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Glad to hear you got a good one! :congrats:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently picked up a GBL from my LGS for $475. It was marked as a sample, so I've no idea how long it had been there. The barrel blueing is patchy, but the sights are straight, it cycles smoothly, and the furniture more or less fits correctly. Shoots great too. I went in looking for a truck gun, and for the price I figure that's what I got and I can live with the cosmetic stuff. Hogs don't care what it looks like, right?

·
Banned
2,803 Posts

The forend wood is a bit darker than that of the butt stock but that's no big deal.
Guns aren't made for lookin.......they're made for shootin.

Reactions: Xakk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never noticed any difference in the color of the forearm and the buttstock. I can see it now in the picture but , at least to me, it isn't noticeable when holding it.

However, I have noticed on pics of other guns that I have taken, the camera will show blemishes and scratches, etc. that I hadn't necessarily noticed before.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.