Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not sure, I have a ten year Marlin 336 and I get 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Maybe its my eyes, I am old.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I don't know as I don't own a Remlin...Having said that I won't keep a rifle, that won't shoot under 1" at 100 Yards with a scope; I don't care who made it. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
kbis said:
Is it typical for a scoped 336 (in 30-30) to shoot under 1 inch at 100 yards ?
It's very typical on this Forum. It seems like everyone but me can do it. ;D

·
Registered
183 Posts
With handloads it´s definately possible. From my experience the biggest limiting factor to Marlins accuracy is the trigger, get a WWG replacement or some work done and the groups will improve.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
my shots from my 336 are much smaller than 3/4. those little holes are only about 1/4 to 3/8 round. now if I could just get them to all cluster in the same area. ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Me Too !!! We need to shoot into an 18" dia. funnel to get groups like that ::) ::) ::)

Steve

·
Registered
243 Posts
well it can or may be done, but that's alot to expect from a huntin' rifle. but if you spend enuff time and money it'll shoot good groups. but if your just huntin' and plinkin' 1'' groups will serve you well. and i'm talking about a 100yds or 300ft. :)

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
So they have made PAPER CHALLENGES between groups before so why not do a .30-30 challenge within our Team .30-30 and post our 100 yard targets?
I created a new thread to separate this from the REMLIN accuracy question.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,95302.0.html

I have 3 Marlin .30-30 levers - Two 336SS and one 336 Zane Grey with the long octagon barrel. I am interested myself to see how they compare and I only shoot factory loads so I will try a couple different brands and see what works best.

GB45

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can get one large hole at 50 yards with a scope, but at 100 yards it really opens up, of course the fact that I not as steady as I use to be might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
http://www.6mmbr.com/ontargetsoftware.html

I discovered this free software recently, excellent for accurately analyzing group size. It allows you to simply work from a photo or scan, then set a reference measurement. It would make easy work of a future 100m paper challenge... members could just email in pics and one person could grade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts