Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a book that describes in detail the Remington m12,14,25 series of rifles? I've always admired the sleek lines of these rifles. Picked up a nice m14 in .35 yesterday and I'm looking for a m25. I just don't know much about them other than I learned in the blue book or a few magazine articles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Two old issues of Rifle magazine have good articles about the evolution of Remington pump rifles. The first article is about the model 14 and 141 the second article is about the later pump rifles 760, etc. They are issues 122 ( March-April) 1989 and 123 (May-June 1989). You can still get these old issues from Rifle magazine I believe. These are excellent articles and have a lot of information. I too REALLY like the model 14 and own a few of them.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
You can contact the remington corporate Archivist at the Remingtom Museum------I think it is still in Illion, NY, but the rest of the company moved south several years ago. Anyhow, the Archivist can give you a history on the firearm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marlinman and all, I contacted the guys at R.S.A. and they answered my question. Unfortunately there's not an in-depth book about these rifles at this time. I'll look up those old Rifle articles - my dad has all of them, Rifle and Handloader, from when they first started in the 70's. I think I first got the bug on these rifles at a gun show in Houston. There was a guy there with a dozen or more of model 14's and 14 1/2's. Some were carbines and some had "thumbnail" safteys. I didn't have much cash then and that was the first time I had really seen them. Me and my dad talked to him and he said he was just "culling" some from his collection! It's been several years and I haven't seen him since, but I keep looking.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Back about 30 years ago I collected .22 pumps, and had every variation of the model 12 Remington. Still love them, but didn't keep any of them once I started selling off the pumps. They're great guns!

·
Registered
180 Posts
They are really nice rifles and the machine work is something to behold. Even though the articles in Rifle magazine are really informative I have never found much info on variations,besides the Thumbnail safaty and the carbines. The guns were changed over the years though, buttplates, markings, sights ,etc. When Remington went to a standard elevator rear sight (seems to have been done in 1920) they always left the front cut in the barrel in front of the rear sight dovetail which was to accomadate the older wheel type sight. A lot of people think that when they have one made after that time period someone changed the rear sight but this isn't the case. I have never been able to find documentation on a lot of these variations, if you do, please let me know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wiktor, that was my frst question about the gun. Mine has the cut and barrel code dates it at 1933 S.N. is 126,1XX, a crescent rifle style buttplate. It also has the letters C A P stamped on the underside of the pistol grip, I guess the original owners initials or maybe even a prison. I've heard these rifles were issued to prison guards in the past.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have two from the 30's and they have the same buttplates as yours. They have the "dogleg" portion of the crescent butt on the bottom. I have one made in 1920 that has the "dogleg" portion of the crescent buttplate on the top, from what I can tell these are the rarest buttplates. !4's made in the teens had the shotgun style stocks and buttplates and handle really quickly.Also, early 14's had no model designation on them. I also heard that these were used in prisons, so that may be the stamp? There is a really nice looking model 25 on GunsAmerica by the way!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I've been eying that 25 for a while. But I've really wanted one in 25-20, because I don't have a 25-20 yet. Lo and behold this morning I see a 25-20 in nice shape,excellent bore on gunsamerica....and before I knew it I had the guy on the phone and then next thing I know I'm at the post office mailing funds!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Back in the late '50's my Dad owned and operated a 'general store' type business with a butcher shop. The kill gun was a Remington Model 25 in .25-20. When he closed the place in the early '70's, he had the well used rifle professionally restored. To this day that little rifle still looks new. I wonder how many beef and hogs that rifle dispatched over the years, as it had been used in that capacity for many years before my Dad took possesion of it.
A great old rifle.........

WB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts